wood frame cot military?

billpenn47

I picked up this old wood framed cot, and it have no marking on it. None at all. Does anyone know how to tell if it's military or not?

THANKS

Billpost-158746-0-89449600-1497785855.jpg

everforward

Yup, that's a US cot, just like mine except mine is light OD, and the wood framing is also painted OD.

phantomfixer

Look for a stamp under the cot on the canvas near the head/foot

Boy scout/civilian cots used a different type of hardware for the storage straps

GI storage straps use the typical slider buckle where the civilian camp cots have stamped tin/steel buckle with a sliding lock built in

Wood painted cots are post war IIRC and had the sewn on tag underneath...vs a stamp

The metal attaching hardware should be OD green and the wood bare on WWII era cots

everforward

Look for a stamp under the cot on the canvas near the head/foot

Boy scout/civilian cots used a different type of hardware for the storage straps

GI storage straps use the typical slider buckle where the civilian camp cots have stamped tin/steel buckle with a sliding lock built in

Wood painted cots are post war IIRC and had the sewn on tag underneath...vs a stamp

The metal attaching hardware should be OD green and the wood bare on WWII era cots

Interesting stuff...I'll have to look for a date on mine....

phantomfixer

I would love to learn more on military cots... I saw a picture of a Civil War General standing next to his tent...and in the tent he had a cot very similar to the 20th century design...hard to info on cots..

everforward

My cot is also dated on the frame itself.

Where is that located on yours, so I'll know where to look..?

everforward

On the side, near one of the headends. The canvas is dated at the underside.

10-4. I'll give mine a look next time I'm with it...thanks for posting..!

phantomfixer

nice to see the frame dated too, this is a first, for me ...now the question...did cot manufacturers make their own canvas or outsource the canvas, as a completed piece? or is this a replacement canvas

post-155518-0-45825700-1497895552.jpg

nice to see the frame dated too, this is a first, for me ...now the question...did cot manufacturers make their own canvas or outsource the canvas, as a completed piece? or is this a replacement canvas

In my case frame and canvas were made by different makers, but they're dated only 2 days apart.

I looked everywhere on my cot guys, and can't find any kind of lettering. May be too old and faded. Not sure what was said about the buckle. will try and attach a picture.post-158746-0-59712800-1497966134_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-65732600-1497981990_thumb.jpg

This the buckle on my original straps. I still have both although one of them got loose from the nail that held it to the frame.

phantomfixer

This is the style I generally see on WWII era cots...the previous posted buckles are generally seen on the camp cots...not set in stone as MB has the same style slider buckle on an issue cot.. with the difference being metal used on the two slider buckles? or different finish anyway...

another difference I noticed is the way the storage strap is secured...by nail...but the buckle end is a little longer on the stamped cots vs the OP is nailed almost at the buckle

enjoy the cot ... I sleep on em all the time in the dog house....under the stars..

post-155518-0-54452600-1498046206_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a WW2 cot with original green paint, either on the wood or metal. I think the metal parts are zinc-plated. I have another cot somewhere with rotten canvas I'll have to check, I have no idea if it's WW2 or later of even if it's a US one.

everforward

I have never seen a WW2 cot with original green paint, either on the wood or metal. I think the metal parts are zinc-plated. I have another cot somewhere with rotten canvas I'll have to check, I have no idea if it's WW2 or later of even if it's a US one.

That is the way mine is, wood and metal are all OD painted. This thread has me wanting to check it out ASAP and I'll share what I find.

phantomfixer

The 44 dated one in my post has remnants of OD on the metal bracing parts...

44 is the earliest I have seen cots dated...any older ones out there?

Mine is dated March 1944. It's highly possible some WW2 cots got a coat of OD paint at some point in their life, but I think this didn't happen at the factory till some time after WW2.

• 2 weeks later...
everforward

Well I got to get a pretty good look at my own cot over the weekend, and I am still inconclusive as to what the small details are.....I'm saying it's either dated 1945 or 1948...your mileage may vary.

Anyway, here are the pics so we can discuss....OD painted frame, two-shade canvas. Canvas is ink-stamped on the bottom, no stamps on the flats of the frame that I could see.

post-8237-0-96909700-1499109469_thumb.jpg

post-8237-0-85901400-1499109503_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

with the all green frame I would say post war .... funny thing is I have a 67 dated cot with a bare wood frame.....but all the 50s cots seem to have all green painted frames...your canvas looks to be OD also..

enjoy the cot ...