Leather Flight Jacket Waist/Cuff Replacement

wildcat123

I have a friend who has a nice, painted A2 with trashed, moth eaten cuffs and waistband. He is looking to get it repaired with replacements. Has anyone dealt with this? Is there a company that has a history of handling this repair? Looking for any recommendations or feedback. Thanks!

It depends on how badly they are damaged I suppose, but modern replaced knits on an A2 are always a deal breaker for me. Also examples that have leather preservative slathered on them. I would probably advise him to just leave it alone....I think replacing the knits will actually hurt the value as a collectible.

Thanks all! Anyone else had any of this type of work done? The waist band is coming off in strips... I'm in the "leave it alone" camp 98% of the time, but this is just shot.

I checked Eastman's site and they don't advertise repair work that I can find. I'll have to shoot them an email.

Thanks again.

Just a suggestion.Do any of your larger police dept. wear leather jackets? Most uniform supply houses have great seamstresses that can do this type of work.You may also want to see if there is a motorcycle racing suit repair shop in your area. You need a seamstress who can open the lining,do the replacement and then reinstall the lining without it being obvious.

Good luck

Bob

I'm in the leave it alone or have the holes mended camp. Dena Hamilton does amazing work: http://www.greatleather.com/

She has repaired a couple of mine. They were practically falling off and when I got them back I was thrilled that she was able to darn/repair the originals.

I hate seeing new knits on an original jacket... That almost always disqualifies a jacket for me.