Pencil Drawings of 873rd Engineer Aviation Battalion by WWII Veteran

zepher11

Some of you may find these as interesting as I did. These were drawn by a fella that lived across the street from our office. His name was Luther Abner Burns, and everyone called him "Ab." He passed away at the age of 98 in 2012.
Ab was a bit of an artist in his spare time. This week the next door neighbor, who knows I am a WWII buff, gave me some of Ab's drawings depicting scenes from his WWII days in the 873rd Engineer Aviation Battalion. Although I'm fairly certain these were done by Ab from memory in the 1980's, they are still really neat. There are about 30 drawings all together. I think I'll frame the more complete drawings.
Ab_Burns_01.JPG
Ab_Burns_08.JPG
Ab_Burns_03.JPG
Ab_Burns_02.JPG
Ab_Burns_04.JPG
Ab_Burns_06.JPG
Ab_Burns_07.JPG
Ab_Burns_091.JPG

These are great! I enjoy them more than photographs. As someone who cannot draw (though I've tried) I am always astonished at how people are able make such detailed drawings. Those are some real treasures you have there.

Very nice.AB had an eye for detail.

He sure did. I like how he shows the reflection of the hut and tree in the water on the drawing with the pile driver on the pier.

These are great! I enjoy them more than photographs. As someone who cannot draw (though I've tried) I am always astonished at how people are able make such detailed drawings. Those are some real treasures you have there.

I'm with you. I have zero artistic ability. Now straight lines, with a ruler, that's right up my alley!