29th Division Interwar period content..111th FA, 1925

everforward

As a collector of Virginia NG items, it is a really cool feeling when something like this floats by--which I might add isn't all-too-often. I love the Interwar period of the 29th ID, and this new acquisition is right down the alley for me.

This is the 'new style' officer's class-A Service Coat, M1926 I'd suppose, even though this one has a date in it of 1925. It belonged to Captain (Dr.) Wymer Wyche Manning (Dental Corps) of Norfolk, Virginia (1897-1980)...he entered the Dental Corps in 1923 as a 1st Lieutenant, but was promoted to Captain, D.C. on 11 August 1924. He was the Commander of the Medical Detachment, 111th F.A. for some years up to and including 1940, which is when the yearbook picture was taken.

The coat has nearly all of its original insignia, save for the DUI's and Captain's bars (which I replaced and are period-correct for the coat, and in their original pin holes on the shoulder straps..!) The 29th SSI is hand-made and very cool, still not a standardized piece of insignia and wouldn't be until near the outbreak of WW2. The bottom row of ribbons are WW1 Victory and a Va NG 6 year service ribbon. The top right ribbon is a service-award given by the Regiment for 10 years of service, so this would date the coats use to at least 1933-'34. I haven't ID'd the upper left ribbon, maybe some of the other Virginians here may know what this one is.

So I hope everyone enjoys looking at the pics; to me this is about as cool as it gets...love the rare Interwar uniforms. Thanks for looking as always.... :)

post-8237-0-95359300-1497574563_thumb.jpg

Great uniform!!

I love it!!

That unknown ribbon kind of looks like the United Daughters of the Confederacy WW1 ribbon.

Chris

everforward

When I look at the images on my iPad, they are all oriented in the proper direction...however they seem to be 90 degrees off when viewing on a PC desktop. Does anyone else see the pics sideways..?

everforward

Great uniform!!

I love it!!

That unknown ribbon kind of looks like the United Daughters of the Confederacy WW1 ribbon.

Chris

Yes, it is very close...may be the one. Thanks for the info, Chris. :)

everforward

Very nice!

Many thanks, Johan...! :)

I also am thinking that while the WW1 UDC ribbon was a great guess at the upper left ribbon, I can't find any evidence of the brown striping on this one that the UDC ribbon would have in the middle...so the search is still on.

kiaiokalewa

I believe the red, white, red ribbon on your uniform is the Surgeon Association of Military Service or something like that. I have an interwar 98th Division officer's tunic with a similar ribbon on it and it was identified as such. Check out my posts below from several years ago.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8303-inter-war-organized-reserve-patches/?hl=kiaiokalewa&do=findComment&comment=50313

everforward

I believe the red, white, red ribbon on your uniform is the Surgeon Association of Military Service or something like that. I have an interwar 98th Division officer's tunic with a similar ribbon on it and it was identified as such. Check out my posts below from several years ago.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8303-inter-war-organized-reserve-patches/?hl=kiaiokalewa&do=findComment&comment=50313

Yes sir, it would appear that we have a winner. Many thanks for noticing and chiming in..! :)

I had thought it that may have been an old Virginia state award of some kind, but your reply makes perfect sense.