517th Paratrooper Grouping

neil peart

Great photos! Interesting that he chose not to wear a CIB. If you study period photos, this was not an uncommon practice for whatever reason.

Great photos! Interesting that he chose not to wear a CIB. If you study period photos, this was not an uncommon practice for whatever reason.

Nice 501st patch!

Great post.

Looking at the link to the photo the lable in case when blown up describes it to be Hitlers silver service and appears to have the name of the person who donated/loaned the items?

Agree and no combat jump star.Really like the 517 numbered brass in photo.

What patch is on the left sleeve of the ike?I can make out 18th Abn Corps on righrt

Thanks for posting a great group.

Agree and no combat jump star.Really like the 517 numbered brass in photo.

What patch is on the left sleeve of the ike?I can make out 18th Abn Corps on righrt

Thanks for posting a great group.

Probably 13th Abn

Very nice you were able to get the extra insignias.

Third Army could be who he was assigned to after he returned home or while shipped home?

In the photo of him looking at the silver service the patch on left shoulder isnt clear.

After the war several of the Armies reformed and were organized as commands for sections of the US. (This may not relate to his wearing of the patch)

carbinephalen

I feel like the jacket in the later photos (on the ship home and also the "train") were a gabardine, darker OD officer cutdown jacket. They don't appear to be the Ike you have in your collection. Still all epic...but your Ike doesn't look quite as dark.

carbinephalen

Actually...does the Ike show a significant right breast button "shadow" from the front pocket? It may be the same on second glance. Do you see any evidence of four ribbons across the chest?

I have to disagree... :)

to me its a standard wooI Ike.The hidden/covered buttons and collar cut are good indicators.

Typical cut down officers jackets will retain the gold buttons on pockets and front.

Granted the Officers ETO jacket will be different and made of the English barathea wool similar to gabradine but there are no pockets on the chest.Just side slash pockets.Some tailors would remove buttons or Cover them but not the norm or do a full custom uniform but it took longer.Where cutting down the 4 pocket was quicker with less detail work involved.

I really don't know if the Ikes are the same, but here are more pics of the one that I have. I don't see any evidence of other patches on the right sleeve. I do see where the 17th patch used to be on the M42s.

post-24839-0-46812300-1498362352.jpg

post-24839-0-37965900-1498362368.jpg

post-24839-0-41430900-1498362388.jpg

post-24839-0-74969400-1498362406.jpg

hello

Door maps of the LT Neiler found on battlefields in Ardenne, concealed for Provence

10hri4n.jpg

155geaa.jpg

1zgazw3.jpg

wagh3q.jpg

wagh3q.jpg

34xq3hc.jpg

148ln5x.jpg

2enygk1.jpg

Serge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Nice 517th Airborne grouping for sure! I was looking at the large bullion patch that is in this grouping (1st Page). Does anyone know anything about this pocket patch, where it may have been made?