M1 FIXED BALES 88th BLUE DEVIL DIVISION

marvolo

Hi Cesar; there is a particular in this pics that I see now: it seems that there is an original dark blue under the light blue.

It could be the original blue paint????????? :unsure:

post-4436-1224697256.jpg

Sorry, but I don't think this is an original helmet and I hope you will be able to return it to whoever sold it.

I also agree with him. Ive seen many 88th helmets even the patch doesnt look the same size or pattern - blue color isnt the same and I particularly

dilsike the patina on the white border around the patch.

If I find other pics ill post them.

cheers

post-2686-1224697856.jpg

Hallo Dogface; I know that insigna have not the same size but I think it's an insigna made on "field" litter.

I'm sure that helmet cames from a real battlefield in Tuscany!

Marvolo, in the highlighted areas of this pic the highly oxidated OD base paint is visible. It would be correct to assume the blue paint on top of it should have oxidated in a similar way, though in your helmet the insignia paint is just flaked off (which could have been done artificially).

I don't doubt your helmet is a battle field find, it has all the signs of something that was used by farmers after the war, probably as a grain scoop.

Maybe the dark blue paint underneath is what remains of an original 88th badge, and the lighter blue paint was added on top of it to enhance the helmet? I don't know...

Also, the 88th ID had several different sizes of badges painted on their helmets, the late war ones are different from the occupation period applied jobs, but in this regard 88th ID collectors are far better informed than myself.

Regards,

Cesar.

post-19-1224705695.jpg

"!Maybe the dark blue paint underneath is what remains of an original 88th badge, and the lighter blue paint was added on top of it to enhance the helmet? I don't know..."

Hi Cesar, thank for your opinions much exact.

I was aware of to the dark blue paint and probabily it was a original 88th badge; it's a pity if someone added on top the other blue paint!!!!!!

Best,

talk soon

Mario

I agree with Cesar on this! Though, it is always best when in hand. I usually go with my first, gut feeling and my first feeling was that the insignia did not look authentic in terms of aging. But can't say for sure! I wouldn't lay any money down on it, however!

Cheers,

Mike