Issue Birth Control Glasses (BCGs)

Mr-X

Salvage Sailor
The USN issued BCG's when I was in were all black. I'll have to search around for some USN bootcamp yearbooks I have and post some pics later this week.

As promised

Captain Glen R. Cheek, USN Commander, Naval Training Center Orlando

001a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

Black BCG's on Ebay manufactured by USS Co.

Item No. 170277134404

Nice detailed pics from auction listing

BCG_01.jpg

BCG_02.jpg

BCG_05.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Nope, just company numbers but I looked up the staff officers for their assigned dates at RTC. They're from 1972, 1973 & 1977

Thanks for the research work Salvage.

It appears that the Frame, Spectacle, Cellulose Acetate, Black replaced the Frame, Spectacle, Cellulose Acetate, Gray from after 1968 but the Gray specs continued to be issued until stocks were exhausted.

• 4 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Do they really work? You betcha!

Birth Control Glasses in the field

Olongapo City, Subic Bay P.I.

2423394769_267fd8d3a8.jpg

I was issued several pair of grey BCG's but always converted them to black by submerging them in a bath of hot water & a package of black Ritt cloth dye. About 2 minutes in the warm solution would change the frames into black instead of that crappy grey color. The lens were easily washed since the dye wouldn't stick to glass. If the black started to fade with use, another treatment in the black dye bath would fix 'em right up!

I entered in 1976 and was issued black glasses... just another data point.. I like your dye technique.. we did the same thing for rank.. gold to black on 2nd to 1st LT bars that were sewn on fatigues and later utility uniforms.. I think we used permanent marker or shoe black but over time it would fade or wash out.