Issue Birth Control Glasses (BCGs)

Mr-X

Justin's recent thread on Birth Control Glasses got me thinking and I had a bit of a look

through my resources and I have come up with a thesis that I would like to put forward.

Basically what I am saying is that Vietnam era US MilitaryISSUE spectacles were in fact made

from cellulose acetate, and that they were all grey in color and not black as most people think.

They are often assumed to be black because the of following two points:

1. That civilian spectacles at the time were black, and

2. Being cellulose acetate they were semi translucent (see through) and in a black and white photo up against the face they appear black.

Here is a picture of some issue BCGs

Note the diamond shape reinforcements for the arm hinge visible in the left and right temple area, and that the frame lets light through.

glasses1.jpg

Note that the above issue BCG's are worn (in the first pic below) by Capt William Dean CO of the

US Army Support Command 2nd Security Company 1971.

Note that the BCGs are translucent and have the diamond shape supports.

Compare the picture of Dean with the picture below it of Capt Lee Hornberger

the 2nds XO. Hornberger's specs are clearly non issue black BCGs.

Capt Dean

BCGs012.jpg

Capt Hornberger

BCGs013.jpg

Here's a color pic of the Grey cellulose acetate frames.

Note they appear to be multi color due to being translucent.

Contrast them with the pic that Bolo supplied of non issue black BCG's below it.

BCGs011.jpg

post-1885-1224476494.jpg

For some more examples of what I am saying.

Here is a pic of LT Nakano with the issue translucent grey BCG's.

BCGs016.jpg

This pic of LT Emery show non issue black BCGs.

BCGs017.jpg

Another contrast of LT Nakano (top) who has the issue grey traslucent BCGs,

with LT Emery who has non issue black BCGs.

BCGs015.jpg

BCGs014.jpg

Here is one last contrast.

SGT Ray with the grey issue BCG's

against SP4 Ciacci with non issue Blacks BCG's.

BCGs021.jpg

BCGs020.jpg

So, what does everyone think?

surplus sammy

You are correct,the ones I have are the grey acetates,they would look black.

Mine are the same as the first post,they take the colour of the back ground.

If I put them with white paper under them,you can see they are grey.

No were near black.

surplus sammy

post-368-1224673972.jpg

post-368-1224673977.jpg

The skin & colour/b&w image theory works.

The frames look yellowish in the colour shot,

but black in the b&w shot.

post-368-1224673938.jpg

Then in this shot they look,yellow,black and greyish.

I'd have to agree here. The pair I have here looks the same. However, even though they were not officially black but, were in fact gray translucent... they still managed to have the Military's desired effect of being a good BCG.

I wore the gray ones issued to me in 1968 and if they had been black we might have at least had some chance of looking like Buddy Holly :) When I got out I could not afford to replace them so I wore them for some time in the civilian world. I remember walking back to the US from Tijuana and even though I had fairly long hair by then, one of the Custom's guys asked me how long I'd been out of the service. Turns out it was the BCG's which prompted that question.

I was issued black BCGs in 1973. The grey ones were earlier. The black BCGs were used until the brown ones came out in, I think, the 80s.

I will try to find them this weekend and post a photo if there is any interest.

Steve

I was issued a pair of black ones when I enlisted in 1987 at Ft. Sill, they were so ugly I managed to make it through basic training wearing my contacts! No mean feat to say the least. :lol:

Salvage Sailor

The USN issued BCG's when I was in were all black. I'll have to search around for some USN bootcamp yearbooks I have and post some pics later this week.

Oh also, I may be wrong but I've read somewhere that the reason those glasses were issued because it can be used with gas mask on.

Those requiring prescription glasses had special lenses made to be worn in the gas mask.

Birth Control Glasses dont really look that bad on some people, they look retro style

women in the military wear the same BCGs, they really look bad on the women :lol:

What about today? I've seen pictures of soldiers in Iraq wearing their own glasses.

The Army still issues brown BCGs but came out with the Army Frame of Choice Spectacle Program in about 2000. Soldiers may choose to have one pair of civilian-style frames along with one pair of standard-issue frames in fulfilling the readiness requirement for two pairs of eyeglasses. Civilian-style frames cost about $10 more than issue frames. I believe the other services also have simular programs.

Issue glasses, with the case and original June 1970 dated prescription. Right out of this soldier's trunk.

Thought someone might find this interesting, since it has the dated prescription.

post-229-1225072991.jpg

Very nice are these Vietnam ones very diffulcult to come by now adays. I have my own from the 90's on but would like to find a set to put on my vietnam guy when I build em. Nice just noticed on that set to that at FTCKY soldier had them. Amazing fact is that our glasses still are made at Knox and are recevied at Campbell much like that set....nice. When I get home next week I will see if I can't dig my old prescription out and compare it to that one. lol

David

Issue glasses, with the case and original June 1970 dated prescription. Right out of this soldier's trunk.

Thought someone might find this interesting, since it has the dated prescription.

post-229-1225072991.jpg

HelmetGuy

there should be some markings on the nose piece of the Specs.

Can you let me know what it says?

Would I please be able to get a full scan of the perscription?

Thanks.

Leigh

HelmetGuy

there should be some markings on the nose piece of the Specs.

Can you let me know what it says?

Would I please be able to get a full scan of the perscription?

Thanks.

Leigh

Leigh, I sent you a PM.