VB-16 | USS Lexington (CV-16) | two WWII patches

walika

VB-16 | USS Lexington (CV-16)

VB-16 operated from Lexington during the period September 1943-June 1944, and was for a time one of only two Dauntless squadrons assigned to Pacific fleet carriers. The squadron participated in the famous attack against the Japanese Fleet during the Battle of the Philippine Sea in June 1944.

Silkscreened on linen.

VB-16-800.jpg

Embroidered.

VB-16-2-700.jpg

A U.S. Navy Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless of bombing squadron VB-16 flies an antisubmarine patrol low over the battleship USS Washington (BB-56) en route to the invasion of the Gilbert Islands, 12 November 1943. The ship in the background is USS Lexington (CV-16), the aircraft's home carrier. Note the depth charge below the SBD.

SBD_VB-16_over_USS_Washington_1943-Lex%2

USS Lexington (CV-16)

USS%20Lexington%201944.jpg

Lexington%20021662.jpg

A U.S. Navy launch officer on board USS Lexington (CV-16) waves the checkered flag signaling the launch of an Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless of Bombing Squadron VB-16 on a strike in the Central Pacific. VB-16 operated from Lexington during the period September 1943-June 1944, and was for a time one of only two Dauntless squadrons assigned to Pacific fleet carriers. The squadron participated in the famous attack against the Japanese Fleet during the Battle of the Philippine Sea in June 1944.

SBD-5_VB-16_on_USS_Lexington_(CV-16).jpe

VB-16 SBD-5 Dauntlesses onboard the Lexington. Apr 1944

CV-16%20on%20Lxington%20SBD-5%20Dauntles

A VB-16 plane in flight. (Note squadron insignia at left.)

CB-16%20in%20flight.jpg

• 2 years later...

Really great thread, great patcher, photos and research… thanks for shareing!
Do you have names and dates for the two aircrew photos with the linen patches?

Super good find Mark. I guess the Cruise Book is from his second tour? Two previous photos of the pilots are from 1944 from what I know.

Any interesting cool pics in the book?

Cheers,

Jerry

Jerry,

Yes... There is a paperback 'follow-up' booklet with the VB-16 actions in 1945. Some good pics, but are very small in size within the text of the cruise book. Lots of personal photos also. Aboard ship, Saipan, Leyte, and chartboard target maps.

QM

• 3 months later...

Apparently the Forum software upgrade messed up the links in my post, so I will repeat it below:

VB-16 | USS Lexington (CV-16)

VB-16 operated from Lexington during the period September 1943-June 1944, and was for a time one of only two Dauntless squadrons assigned to Pacific fleet carriers. The squadron participated in the famous attack against the Japanese Fleet during the Battle of the Philippine Sea in June 1944.

Silkscreened on linen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Embroidered.

spacer.png

A U.S. Navy Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless of bombing squadron VB-16 flies an antisubmarine patrol low over the battleship USS Washington (BB-56) en route to the invasion of the Gilbert Islands, 12 November 1943. The ship in the background is USS Lexington (CV-16), the aircraft's home carrier. Note the depth charge below the SBD.

spacer.png

USS Lexington (CV-16)

spacer.png

spacer.png

A U.S. Navy launch officer on board USS Lexington (CV-16) waves the checkered flag signaling the launch of an Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless of Bombing Squadron VB-16 on a strike in the Central Pacific. VB-16 operated from Lexington during the period September 1943-June 1944, and was for a time one of only two Dauntless squadrons assigned to Pacific fleet carriers. The squadron participated in the famous attack against the Japanese Fleet during the Battle of the Philippine Sea in June 1944.

spacer.png

VB-16 SBD-5 Dauntlesses onboard the Lexington. Apr 1944

spacer.png

A VB-16 plane in flight. (Note squadron insignia at left.)

spacer.png

• 1 year later...

My Granddad, R.N. McMackin was a squadron leader for a time with VB-16. He mentioned George "Porkchop" Dean as a member. Would that be him in the photo?

Also, is that your VB-16 book? I inherited Mack's military keepsakes, including the same book. I would love another for my brother to have. 

Thank you for posting.

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

Hi, yes...  That's him in the photos. George "Porky" Dean was in VB-16 throughout 1945.  Great items there. The formation photo is for the remembrance of a fallen comrade,  also is included with many others in Dean's grouping.  I finally scanned all the photos from his effects. Many are from where they stayed on Saipan for a time as well. 

Thanks for sharing.

I would love to see those scans. Are they available to the public? 

The funeral was for Hal Byrd(Bird?) who died in a training exercise in Trinidad. I think it was a night landing exercise in a field that ended in tragedy. They were training there before heading to the Pacific. 

What is your relation to Dean? Sorry, i am new to this site. 

Wbrigance, 

Thanks for the reply.  I bought a grouping last year from another collector. Dean's photos and squadron patch were all included. They are all privately owned, but I can post a few here for you and others who might be interested.

QM

• 1 year later...
irish caffey

@qmjones 

I think my grandfather was on VB-16 but in 1944. In 1945 he was on VBF and wrote the squadron history, which looks similar to the "Bombing Sixteen History" in your photos. I also have his flight logbook. Is there any mention of "Irish Caffey" in the VB16 squadron book?

Screenshot2023-04-06at8_58_44AM.png.64cade35b49d372a439e3f9b5a6158fc.png