USS Ling - A Submarine in peril

Teamski

Hey guys,

Just saw this on MSN. The USS Ling, which I knew nothing about until now, is in dire straits. I wish there was something we could do. I fear that she might end up getting scrapped. The fact that she is an unmodified Balao class, untouched by the Guppy mods, makes her a rarity. I hope something can be done to spare her. I certainly wish I was a millionaire...... Anyways, read about it and spread the word. Perhaps some entity out there might step up. Miracles do happen from time to time, you know!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-submarine-in-hackensack-is-told-to-leave-but-how/ar-BBCzGOQ?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

-Ski

The Meatcan

Teamski, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Maybe something like a GoFundMe campaign could help? Definitely a story worth following!

Terry

Teamski, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Maybe something like a GoFundMe campaign could help? Definitely a story worth following!

Terry

According to the actual article, they tried that and came up with a whopping $25.00.

Steve

The Meatcan

According to the actual article, they tried that and came up with a whopping $25.00.

Steve

Guess I should have finished reading the entire article before posting. Man, $25 is lousy! It's too bad that a positive outcome for the Ling seems so remote.

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw this on Fox today. Say they have a plan they want to look at but it sounds like it would be very difficult phisically to get her moved with conditions being what they are now and closed to public tours because of them. Maybe they could get it out by just removing the conning tower temorarily? Most probably don't know about this, alot don't care (apparently there's some enviromentalists complaining about the sub), and most people can't do anything.

I had the pleasure of visiting the Ling in the early 80's. They had a really impressive set-up including a nice museum with great exhibits (apparently the navy has already demanded loaned artifacts to be returned). It's really a shame how no one is stepping forward with a solution. Really sounds like the Ling is caught between a rock and a hard place

I just saw this on Fox today. Say they have a plan they want to look at but it sounds like it would be very difficult phisically to get her moved with conditions being what they are now and closed to public tours because of them. Maybe they could get it out by just removing the conning tower temorarily? Most probably don't know about this, alot don't care (apparently there's some enviromentalists complaining about the sub), and most people can't do anything.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5490776476001/?#sp=show-clips

• 1 month later...

I will be adding a donation today and possibly more in the future. The USS Clamagore is also at risk of being lost to the scrap heap. There are a couple of groups that have been trying to get her moved to another location. It's been about 5 years now since Patriots Point announced that they could no longer afford to preserve the Clamagore but nothing has happened as of yet. Last I heard they were talking about sinking her off the coast of Florida and making it an "underwater museum" whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

It's sad that these boats end up so neglected due to lack of interest and/or funding.

• 1 year later...
Garandomatic

Just got an update... some waste of life stole four bronze plaques, boarded and broke into the Ling and opened valves to sink it several feet into the water it is in. For God's sake, what the hell...

Garandomatic

It's a shame that they never even raised more than 17K... I kicked in a few bucks, but this never really got much traction. Hopefully this draws some attention. That's my only hope. So help me, gonna buy some lottery tickets, and if I do, they're set. And I'll buy them enough razor wire to keep the badguys out.

This is truly a shame. What I dont understand was how the vandals were able to flood the submarine? Did the submarine already have flooded compartments, as the article said the vandals opened underwater hatches?

I wouldn't be surprised if this was done on purpose by someone knowledgeable to damage the sub beyond the possibility of restoration, so as to get it removed faster. It now seems more likely that the sub may just be scrapped given the damage that has occurred.

This act of vandalism seems really suspicious to me. I really dont think the average person would know how to flood the sub, let alone be able to do so without drowning themselves in the process.

Hmm defiantly seems like an inside job, first they steal the plaques which makes the memorial just blank stones, possibly priming that for removal, then they sink the sub causing it to become even more damaged which most likely could be what causes it to get scraped! Someone should look into the developers and new property owners and see if one of them did it! Stealing those plaques is as low as it goes!

Might be worth delving into what state and/or federal regulations are in place concerning the removal of scuttled vessels blocking or possibly blocking a navigable waterway... Wouldn't it be nice if someone figured out how to get some other entity to handle the removal and disposal of the vessel..

Government Issue

So unfortunate. What a shame. Prevents living vets that served on the Ling from seeing her and destroyed the artifacts the donated.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, it seems off... random vandals knowing which controls would open her vents and flood ports... right.

They're hydraulic would they even be operable at this point?

The bilge had to be running, so some vandal knew how to turn it off, disconnect it etc ... Nope

Someone had at the minimum/semi clue of her workings to flood her

The whole thing to me has red flags all over it.

Would be nice if the Navy reclaimed her at least until another Museum decides to take her, if she's even salvageable at this point.

An absolute shame

Diddo on the lottery bit. If I win this is on the list of things to do. I agree with the inside job bit, there's no way this was some random hit to do all that damage. What's the point though? They were in the process of moving what they can. Someone thought this would make things go faster? All they did was make it so it would take longer to move anything off the sub. Seems like someone is just trying to destroy history for no reason. Somebody has to be able to get this done. Call mega movers and get her on land like what's been done with some other subs in a park or something?Sad to see and sad to say but low-life really is the only description for anyone who would do this.

• 1 year later...

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/bergen/hackensack/2019/07/23/uss-ling-vandalism-hackensack-charges-upgraded-five-suspects-break-ins/1809921001/

Looks like they found out who the culprits were in the flooding and they may be appropriately charged. Seems they have hard evidence on them. Who knows if anyone else is behind this. Anyone know if they have at least managed to remove any of the water?

• 2 months later...