3rd MI Vol. Inf. ID tag with a great story!

USdog

This is something really special for me being a Michigan resident all of my life.

I actually picked up this tag in eBay not too long ago. I only purchased it because of the Michigan connection. Little did I know the amazing history that would come from this soldier's/family's story later on, making it one of the centerpieces of my collection.

Please read story on my website... I would like to refrain from posting names. Note: I know that his middle initial and one other letter are misspelled on tag. This is a pretty common occurrence for CW tags.

http://www.historicdogtags.com/civil-war.html

Thanks and enjoy!

847893936613c1ac6dcf6608817d4a7a.jpg437bf98b9845b879a8cd2b2444309f75.jpgea50cd23f791a9d359c1a1a3bb987148.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man, you really hit a home run there! What a fascinating and significant story.

Thank you, Chris! Yes, it was an unexpected surprise. :)

M24 Chaffee

Great piece and story! Sad that he just disappeared in the confederate prison camp.

Frank

Great piece and story! Sad that he just disappeared in the confederate prison camp.

Frank

It really is. I was hoping to find more details on that, but right now it does seem like he just vanished.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was able to find out that he was in fact buried as an unknown at the Poplar Grove National Cemetary in Petersburg, VA. Sad to think that he had this tag made in hopes of being identified if killed, but never such thing occurred for him.