General's license plate?

beerdragon54

beerdragon54

Bought this today at a flea market because I had never seen anything like it. No marks on case for plate. Opinions?Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jumpin Jack

Outstanding find! Yes, these are original vehicle "flags" showing that the general is in the vehicle.. When placed in the frame, the single point of the star(s) is always in the upward position. Jack

beerdragon54

Outstanding find!  Yes, these are original vehicle "flags" showing that the general is in the vehicle..  When placed in the frame, the single point of the star(s) is always in the upward position.  Jack

Thanks for the response and confirming my suspicions. Not sure as to value because I couldn't find another. $17 gamble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jumpin Jack

Are the flag plates plastic or metal? I have both ranks, but not the frame. Would you be interested in trading for other item(s) in your area of interest? Jack

CNY Militaria

Does the color of the flag indicate branch of service....might be a dumb question

Red would be Army and USMC, Blue for Navy and Air Force.

phantomfixer

Thanks much.. I have a blue cloth one star, that I assumed came from the USAF...

the OP is a good find as a complete set, cover, frame, and placard...

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I have a modern USMC Commandant's plate. I wonder when they started using the attached stars instead of painted.

post-133515-0-36025900-1497507203_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

I think the placards can be locally produced, on base/post, DAFB S/M shop made a few, and could be wrong, that being said, placards could be as plain or ornate as the shop making them...

• 1 month later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Found this photo in the Spring 1998 issue of Fortitudine (The Bulletin of the Marine Corps Historical Program). Similar to my plate but the configuration has the four general stars in a single row along the bottom beneath the EGA. In the vehicle are LGen Krulak, BGen Carl and Gen Holland Smith (ret).

post-133515-0-89693400-1501787808.jpg

I was an Aide and we had three types: 1) metal stars - this was an officially issued plate that came with all the other GO stuff (belt, pistol, star flag, vehicle plate, etc.) 2) locally made plates for all star-ranks with decal stars that appeared to be 3D (silver color with lines and shading) - used for visitors 3) same as 2, but flat painted stars