Glider Helmet is this real or fake

ADMIN NOTICE: This member: DTRSSS has been banned from this forum. He came here under the guise of being a genuine collector in need of advice and guidance. In reality, he was using this forum and the collectors on it to get some sort of stamp of approval for his forged helmet which he later listed on ebay with very deceptive language. A review of his ebay sales shows that this is not something new but happens to be the way he operates. Due to the diligence of the helmet collecting community, this fraudster was called out. The administration of the USMF takes honesty and integrity seriously and we strive to protect our membership from this kind of deception.

I have a glider marked helmet with a Rigger liner. Mine Safety Appliance liner. The liner is dirty. The heat stamp is 258A S so it is not a McCord. The leather chin strap has a green painted brass fastener. The A washers are either black or dark green but they don't look really black to me. I have taken pictures that I thought were important. I can take more pictures if needed. I would like to know if it is real or fake OR if any particular component is fake.

Question about leather chin straps in general: It is my understanding that all US WWII ones always have the embossed, horizontal lines and the ends of the leather are cut in a straight line. US ONLY ones are made by Carr and Scovill but there are some with no markings on them. Belgian ones are without the lines and have a rounded cut end and are thicker leather? Is this correct?

post-168910-0-67844100-1497198346.jpg

post-168910-0-34018800-1497198359.jpg

the liner looks post war modified to begin with.

shell straps are fake im my opinion.not looking right at all

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Agree steel pot chinstraps are repros ...liner looks to be authentic "rigger" para liner from the pics

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Even from a distance you can tell that the shell has some sort of ageing layer on it, the painted clubs also look like they have large scratches.

OD3 Chinstraps are reproduction, the leather chin cup is an aviator type, leather liner chinstrap is an Euro Clone, Post-war sweatband, MSA rigger made liner..... the list goes on.

Pretty poor fake.

Pat

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

It's a poorly convincing fake. For starters schlueter never made M1C helmets. The straps are bad reproductions. The sweatband in the shell is actually a post war clone, the nape is a reproduction(dome snaps), and the liner strap is also a post war clone. I can't comment on the base liner webbing or A yokes. As its hard to see details. The helmet markings are unnaturally aged. Lastly, a glider troop would be issued a standard M1 helmet. Not a m2 or m1c.

I thought the liner was what made a M1 helmet into a M1C? Is it the color of the helmet straps and lack of wear on the buckle the giveaway? I see repo chin cups of this type on Ebay and they advertise them as paratrooper chin cups. Are they wrong then? Thanks

The raised bar on the buckle is painted black. Is that correct? Every picture I have seen, they are brass colored or dark...like dirt, with a raised bar. Also, the raised bar has an indention running the length of the opening. That doesn't look right to me. Should it have this or not? Thank you.

I also read that their were 3 kinds of buckels.........brass raised bar (pictures showed a dirty brass color, simplified steel painted black, no bar and simplified brass painted black, no bar. Looking at some that I have, I see many that are brass with raised bar but are painted black.

This is called a "hump job". Usually because firstly, this helmet has been "put together again" like humpty dumpty with a mix of original and reproduction parts. Also called a hump job because someone always gets screwed.

Independent research, and good books are the best insurance against getting screwed. The questions you are asking can all be answered through some time spent going through the old posts on this forum, and reading the literature. If you ask a single question, and it is answered: you have learned one thing. However, if you conduct research to discover the answer yourself, you find tons of other info you did not currently know as well as the original answer.

We can only answer so many questions here...

Crapgame: His name is Kelly. Used to be a Lieutenant, pretty good one too-

until someone gave him orders to attack the wrong hill. Wiped out half a company of GI's...

Somebody had to get the blame so he got picked....

Oddball (Laughing): Oh man, I don't like officers...

Crapgame (Laughing): Neither does he, so relax!

I read somewhere that the glider crew often wore rigger liners, hence M1-C. It made sense but now I am see that was not true. There is a lot of misinformation out there and it takes time to sift through it.

I read somewhere that the glider crew often wore rigger liners, hence M1-C. It made sense but now I am see that was not true. There is a lot of misinformation out there and it takes time to sift through it.

You read wrong then. If anything the glider crew were more than likely outfitted with regular M1s and regular liners. Its pretty much universally accepted that no rigger liners made it into battle during WWII specially the ETO. They seem to have started making them end of the war for the possible invasion of Tokyo that never happened.

As everyone has said here, the helmet in the OP is an all out fake from top to bottom.

DTRSS,

Is this your helmet on eBay?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WWII-US-GLIDER-HELMET-101st-AIRBORNE-327TH-GLIDER-INF-REG-1ST-BATTALION-/122547963375?hash=item1c886d85ef:g:VQoAAOSwvflZQJyE

If you're going to list it then I would strongly suggest you put in the description that the helmet contains reproduction parts and insignia.

Same helmet as posted here.........

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

DTRSS,

Is this your helmet on eBay?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/WWII-US-GLIDER-HELMET-101st-AIRBORNE-327TH-GLIDER-INF-REG-1ST-BATTALION-/122547963375?hash=item1c886d85ef:g:VQoAAOSwvflZQJyE

If you're going to list it then I would strongly suggest you put in the description that the helmet contains reproduction parts and insignia.

Who ever the seller is, he has a whole pile of current and past auctions of fake helmets with very deceptive descriptions meant to deceive!

And this is how we loose new / future collectors...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the auction description which was listed after all comments in this thread were made:

• Listed in category:

WWII US GLIDER HELMET 101st AIRBORNE 327TH GLIDER INF REG 1ST BATTALION

This helmet is in very good condition. Some minor depressions on top, some surface rust spots, most of the cork is missing from the top and most is still intact on the lower half all the way around, above the stainless, front seam rim. Most of the insignia is intact with minor wear and marks. The chinstraps are stained but strong. The heat stamp is 258A S. The webbing is dirty but very strong. The rear nape area has the one end barely holding on with a few threads. Mine Safety Appliance liner. The A yokes are in very good condition and the buckles have some surface wear. The chin cup is in very good condition with just a small edge of the chamois coming off. The sweatband is in very good condition with minor staining. The liner exterior has some marks and scratches with some paint chipping on the middle edges and a small piece missing along the right, middle edge. Swivel bales are strong and move freely. Maybe 40% of the stainless edge is missing paint.

USMC 2/2 Fox Co 0311 & 1st Recon Bn Delta Co. 0321. 1986 - 1995 (Desert Storm 90/91)

US Army Long Range Surveillance Co F 425th INF ABN LRS Team 1-6 2003 - 2005 (Iraqi Freedom 03/04)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Despicable

Crapgame: His name is Kelly. Used to be a Lieutenant, pretty good one too-

until someone gave him orders to attack the wrong hill. Wiped out half a company of GI's...

Somebody had to get the blame so he got picked....

Oddball (Laughing): Oh man, I don't like officers...

Crapgame (Laughing): Neither does he, so relax!