Rare WWII AFS Helmet Of Ambulance Driver Bertrand Hutchinson

Bugme

This is a rare WWII American Field Service helmet(Adrian) belonging to Bertrand Hutchinson. How I came upon this helmet is incredibly amazing but, the short story is that the guy who inherited the Costa Mesa, CA storage unit this came out of, sold it to me.

COURTESY OF THE ARCHIVES OF THE AMERICAN FIELD SERVICE:

• When: WWII
  • Where: France
  • Category of People: WWII Driver
  • Last Name: Hutchinson
  • Given Name(s): Bertrand
  • Decorations: Decorated in WWII(Croix de Guerre)
  • Unit (WWII): FR 40-1

IMG_20170422_182555212.jpg

IMG_20170422_201054490.jpg

IMG_20170429_131220757.jpg

Almost forgot, here's a photo of Bertrand Hutchinson from the AFS Archives.

Bertrand Hutchinson.jpg

Thanks guys! For those who don't know about the AFS here is a little snippet:

During World War II, the American Field Services volunteer force was stationed in Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, India, and Burma. AFS Drivers served near the front lines alongside Allied soldiers. Approximately 2,200 AFS Drivers had served by the end of the war, and they carried over 700,000 casualties.

RustyCanteen

Scott, you shouldn't shock people without warning. That is one cool WWII helmet. B)

Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks gentlemen, I know it is not an M-1 but, it is for all intent, an American helmet even though it was supplied by the French. The AFS badge on the front designated the wearer as an American volunteer Ambulance driver.

Thanks gentleman! I realize, that few people know a lot about the AFS both in WWI and WWII. Here's a link to a WWI AFS drivers helmet also in my collection: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/80255-rare-wwi-m-15-american-field-service-adrian-helmet/

A little more from WWII AFS: This is the most well know WWII driver, Actor Robert Montgomery who put his career on hold to be a volunteer driver. The insignia on his helmet appear to be a WWI version badge.
Robert Montgomery AFS.jpg

Here are some AFS drivers during WWII(The driver on the left also appears to have a WWI AFS badge while the driver on the right has the standard French infantry badge) The point being that AFS badges for WWII are very rare and hard to find.

WWII One.jpg

Jumpin Jack

Probably one of the most notable members of the AFS in WWI was Hemingway. I had a friend who volunteered for the AFS in Italy, WWII, who was kind enough to give me his bring backs and his uniform insignia. Jack

Here's the best I can do right now Mike, When I get some time I'll do some nicer side by side photo's. WWII AFS(first) WWI AFS(second)

IMG_20170422_182555212.jpgDSCN2049 RS.jpg

Awesome!

(now leave some for the rest of us!)

Will do Jerry however, I am reasonably sure there are not a whole lot of these left but if I find another one, I'll give you a call. This one only took about 30 years to find. ;)

Just a bit more information of the rarity of these WWII AFS helmets... up until I precured this helmet, The only other one I'd seen was in this artists rendition and in one period photo that I now can't locate in my e-files. However, since I posted this helmet, one other collector from the Netherlands has shown me his WWII AFS Adrian. Hopefully he will post his as well since he is also a member here. So, this is a grand total of two that I've seen in 30 years.

post-14792-0-77955600-1433264859.jpg

Adding a bit more to the rarity of the AFS Adrian, is the fact that later in the the war M-1's were made available to AFS drivers.

6-ambulance.jpg