ID this Ordnance / missile patch please

WorldWarPatches

Salvage Sailor

Nice patch for the suicide nuke weapons system. It was a dirty bomb, highly inaccurate and with a very short range.

I never would have gotten that from the patch design. The missile looks more like a ship mounted weapon, and not a bit like the Davey Crockett. I thought this was more of a Navy design. But we'll go with this.

Is there any evidence to support this ID?

I'm somewhat skeptical, since the missile looks nothing like a Davy Crockett and it only has a "C", and not a D.C. or other "Davy" themed imagery usually seen on insignia associated with this weapon system.

Having updated the Riverine book originally pubbed in 1985, there were several Navy patches that featured symbols of "other" branches on them, especially ordnance. I agree with Zemke's skepticism on this one, and that Gil is closer to a service branch.

I'm convinced it's Army, but more likely for a Special Weapons (aka nuclear weapons) support activity or unit in Germany. I've found a few of these in groups of patches before, and the common theme is always 1960s US Army in Germany. They are also German made.

A likely lead is the 10th Ordnance BN or a unit associated with that organization. It's the right mission in the right place at the right time.

As per Vance

"Davy Crockett "patches have some connotation either "DC", "Davy Crockett" and or unit association with a completely different weapon than one posted, generally are quite large theatre made pocket patches.

The weapon pictured is not a DC weapon more like a little John(?).

Below is a DI of 10th Ordnance Bn again as per Vance either 10th Ordnance or a similar unit c early to mid 60's,

Phill

post-7582-0-40051200-1497205912.jpg

To my eyes, the missile on the patch resembles the US Navy's Standard Missile 2 (SM-2) surface-to-air air defense weapon.

I take that back. I think it is a US Army Corporal missile on the patch. The 10th Ordnance Bn had sub units that worked with Corporal missiles in Germany. See www.usarmygermany.com for information on the 10th.

warcollect1942

Is the symbol opposite the ordnance bomb electrons going around an atom?

Would that be an atomic bomb symbol? Splitting the atom? Does the projectile shown

go inside the recoilless rifle?

Is the symbol opposite the ordnance bomb electrons going around an atom?

Would that be an atomic bomb symbol? Splitting the atom? Does the projectile shown

go inside the recoilless rifle?

Yes, and it probably indicates the "special weapons" maintained by the 10th Ord Bn.

No, it is not a recoilless rifle round or a Davey Crockett round.

Based on the information I found about the 10th Ord Bn, the resemblance of the patch to that unit's DUI, and the missile on the patch as well as the "C," I think it is related to the subordinate element of the battalion that worked on Corporal missiles in Germany.