Repair of direct embroidered SF JJ

63 RECON

From a very generous forum I received this shirt, its a great direct embroidered piece but as you can see its missing some bits.

Rank, MOS and name are missing, the SF SSI and airborne arc where sewn on so it should be easy track down period examples.

I'd like to bring the JJ back to its former glory and I heard through the grapevine there may be some one on here that can do period looking embroidery.

If so please hit me up. Cheers in advance for your help.

Ryan

post-117117-0-83475600-1496975973.jpg

post-117117-0-60035000-1496976056_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is not an easy task. I had a jungle jacket direct embroideries re-made in Thailand 15 years ago by a friend who knew an old seamstress. It was nearly as good as the vietnamese wartime period job but you could tell something was off.

The skills and handiwork are no longer the same even in SEA.

I went to Paris Chinatown and asked the very few local tailor shop owners and none wanted to do the job. I don't know if they feel they couldn't do it or just didn't want to do it.

A friend who did slavic style embroideries on handkerchiefs, blouses and dresses once told me she could do letters pretty easily but she will need time to do the wings with the different row of feathers. But I lost track with her over the years...

I once met a post-VN SF NCO who told me that Vietnamese brides did some very nice embroideries for the young troopers who wanted to have VN look alike berets but I guess they are now old and also lost the skills they learned in-country.

thanks for the responses and feedback guys, i didn't think it would be easy.

Would you mind letting me know O?

• 3 months later...

Thought you would all like to see the pictures of the repaired direct embroidery on this jungle jacket.

A big thank you to Jeff who did all the repairs to the name, rank and MOS. He is truly a master of his craft. If you ever need any work done like this he is your guy.

James E. Wilde served in numerous positions including Detachment A in Berlin, various A team camps and S-4 at FOB-3 (CCN)

Mods, if possible could we please rename the topic to Direct embroidered JJ of James E Wilde

Thanks for looking

post-117117-0-25408700-1507297029_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looks Great ! Very Good Work ... Hopefully I can locate someone like that someday that might be able to create a SEA era aircrew name tag for a display I am working on !

Talk about skills and pride in your work. Big kudos to the artist. An Incredible restauration.

Another great Jacket in a advanced collection Ryan.

Best regards

Martin