M-6 Motor Vehicle Compass by Sherrill of Peru, IN needs repaired

MattS

I picked this up pretty cheap because it was made right down the road in Peru. I noticed the compass is off its pivot point though and doesn't rotate. I've taken off the top cover that exposes the adjustment screws, but I haven't gone any further with disassembly. Can it even be repaired? Or should I leave it as is? Thanks!

post-32676-0-86823800-1496931871.jpg

post-32676-0-50762900-1496931877.jpg

RustyCanteen

Hi,

It is possible it simply needs adjustment. Does the compass dial move freely inside the globe? I have seen some that are deformed, and will no longer function as a result. I just read your post again and see that you say it is off it's point. Chances are, it is deformed on one side. If that is the case, then it is not repairable. If I remember correctly, the top of the unit has all of the guts that compensate for magnetic interference (you will note that the bracket and many other parts are brass) since this was meant to be mounted in a steel bodied vehicle. Underneath that, is the actual compass and it sits in grooves in the bakelite housing. I think it comes out from the top. I wouldn't take it apart. There is a manual that was shipped with each unit from the factory, and that might help you if you can locate one.

Step one is to take a bright flashlight and shine it in to see if the piece is deformed or not. I suspect that it is. Now the better news, is that if you could find another one that is simply missing pieces (but has a working compass) you could probably swap out the pieces and make one complete unit.

RustyCanteen

If it can't be repaired, just put it in the northwest corner of your room so it won't drive you crazy looking at it. :) It's still a nice piece.

If it can't be repaired, just put it in the northwest corner of your room so it won't drive you crazy looking at it. :) It's still a nice piece.

It sounds like that may be my best bet! I'll see if the post is deformed or not tonight.

hbtcoveralls

I had one of these years ago in exactly the same condition.

I fully disassembled it and found that the compass card is sealed inside a glass or plastic vessel that I couldn't see any way to open

What I surmise is that the float that bouys the compass card on it's pivot was probably cork and it degraded in time

That said they still have value if you have the vehicle that it fits in

Nice overall condition and I'd leave it alone. I sold mine for over 100.00 years ago

Tom Bowers