4th Service Command local grouping

ghengus

This is a recent local grouping I picked up at an estate sale. His name was James Carroll Bradley and apparently was in the 4th Service Comnand as a private. Here is the info I received from the lady who hosted the sale.

James, aka Jim went into the army and fought in the European theatre. The military items were from this time in his life and many German items were either obtained from the battle field or later when he was assigned as an MP at a POW camp for German soldiers. There was unattributed artwork in his office gifted to him by the prisoners. Post war, he also attended the Shipyard Apprentice School and worked for the shipyard. He later got a job with the City of Newport News and he retained that position for thirty years.

I was lucky enough to get these item during several trips to the sale. The one picture I have of him shows him wearing a liner with his name on tape. The helmet liner still shows the residue of the tape on the front of the liner! Still researching him, haven't found a whole lot and he had to have been in a different unit if he was overseas, right? I didn't think the service commands went overseas. There were some German items and some German art that was apparently given to him when he was a guard. Missed out on the pictures but got the German mess kit he had. Anyway enjoy and thanks for looking.

Jumpin Jack

It appears that your photos did not come through. Looking forward to seeing what is in the group. Jack

• 2 weeks later...
Fort Susquehanna

Very nice grouping. Service Command groupings are very overlooked and have some very interesting history (what WWII history isn't interesting?). I like the German souvenirs. I hope it stays together.