Show your Rarest or Favorite piece of Field Gear!

Hi all,

Okay, we have a title and concept borrowed from the long-running uniform section favorite "Show your Rarest or Favorite Uniforms!" Apologies to Justin/CNY Militaria (the OP of the original Uniform thread) for the similarities, but as the saying goes 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". He had a good idea, and now it is time to try it in this section too - with a twist. :)

So all of you please feel free to post whatever your rarest/favorite (or both) pieces of field gear are. There are no limits to how many different items you can post, but I would ask that if possible, you post each item as it's own reply, rather than just take a photo of a pile of goodies. :DFeel free to also tell us why you happen to like the item you post, and what sets it apart from other similar items in your collection. In short, let us know why it is your favorite. B)

And for those who would like to see the 'original' "Show your Rarest or Favorite Uniforms" thread, see this link: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/804-show-your-rarest-or-favorite-uniforms/

Now, let's see some field gear!

Hi Rusty, time to open this vault again and encourage some more posts, here while I still technically own it is my unissued Woodmans Pal knife and all its accompanying pieces, I say technically still mine as it is part of an auction of my collection in two weeks time.

lewis.

.post-344-0-21749600-1556984504.jpeg

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rusty, time to open this vault again and encourage some more posts, here while I still technically own it is my unissued Woodmans Pal knife and all its accompanying pieces, I say technically still mine as it is part of an auction of my collection in two weeks time.

lewis.

.post-344-0-18343300-1556984664_thumb.jpeg

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

• 2 weeks later...

One of the hardest-to-find variants of the Marines' M1941 Pack- the early "D-ring" model made of forest-green canvas with bisquit-tan edge binding, which somehow avoided much usage and the washing machine, shown with a Canteen Cover made of the same materials which did see some action.

The attached Ammo Belt is a "BoyT -41-".

post-3226-0-90327800-1558053833_thumb.jpg

Support our troops...abandoning the War on Terror is not an affordable luxury.

I'm so old, I still call W.W.II U.S. militaria "war surplus".

God's blessings in the Name of our Lord Jesus- Jim Robertson

lewis.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_17b0.jpeg

Hello Ken, great to see you!

That is by far the best example I have seen, thank you for sharing it.

Regards,

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

One of the hardest-to-find variants of the Marines' M1941 Pack- the early "D-ring" model made of forest-green canvas with bisquit-tan edge binding, which somehow avoided much usage and the washing machine, shown with a Canteen Cover made of the same materials which did see some action.

The attached Ammo Belt is a "BoyT -41-".

Very nice, the contrast and condition are excellent.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, here is an item I have had for years from WWII that I believe is rare in any condition, but especially complete in unissued condition. It is a 1943 dated Latent Fingerprint kit with all contents unused and the ruler even still has the protective paper on it. The Ink stamps on the inside flap are U.S. FAUROT INC. Kit, FINGER PRINT LATENT 1943. I have never seen another one of these kits anywhere and haven't even seen a photo of one except on Page 88 of the QM 6 Quartermaster Supply Catalog of Chests, Kits, Outfits and Sets dated January 31st, 1944. I have included in this post a copy of that page. One of your more unusual pieces of "Field" gear that may pop out of the woodwork.

Bob

post-299-0-49178600-1563033943.jpg

post-299-0-62012900-1563033954_thumb.jpg

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

Inside of Kit.

post-299-0-77071900-1563034009_thumb.jpg

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

Inside of Kit with Lifter Sheets shown

post-299-0-57325100-1563034119_thumb.jpg

donation2008.gif

The faint ink stamps inside of flap.

post-299-0-90917200-1563034364_thumb.jpg

donation2008.gif

• 8 months later...

I found this at a thrift store for $3... from what I read, there were only 130,000 of the HMCO knives delivered, the lowest amount manufactured during the war.

post-157704-0-52843700-1584282309_thumb.jpg

post-157704-0-78846200-1584282318_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I don’t think it’s necessarily rare but I also love my 1945 Callaway Mills canteen cover that didn’t get the front stitches that covers usually have. I just think it looks unique and pretty cool. 

image.jpg