Show your Rarest or Favorite piece of Field Gear!

RustyCanteen

Yeah, I would have thought that a plain old ammo bag would be sort of common but they do seem hard to find. I have an OD one also.

Yep, Old Marine, those M1 Bags are a top find, in my opinion, and don't seem to show up often at all.

They seem to have been replaced pretty early on by the M2 Bag, which is actually more of a Vest.

Below, an O.D.#3 "transitional" and an O.D.#7 M2...

post-3226-0-38291200-1497139890_thumb.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Great items guys!!!

Here is one of my favorite field gear pieces and I guess you could say rare, since it caused a pretty good debate on here about if these were ever issued or not? Only a few known to exist in collections and one found shown in a Pre WWI recruiting poster.

USMC M1910 marked canteen cover.

post-33000-0-85771800-1497148282.jpg post-33000-0-11974200-1497148300.jpg

You can see it was clearly stamped before the final vertical stitching was applied.

post-33000-0-19990400-1497148340_thumb.jpg

My modest collection is mostly centered around field gear fom the vietnam era until today; i have some items with higher monetary value (m1967 USMC, Lincloe and such) as well as a good share of experimental items (mostly the LCS 80's trials). Anyway i have a couple of rigs that i love.

Sorry for the ugly photo, first one is a heavily modified Eagle tac vest (only the black base is original, all pouches are custom)

post-3807-0-85047800-1497264888_thumb.jpg

I love it because it is seen worn by a Fort Bragg instructor (managed to find the name and history) in a photo that was featured in a lot of publications and books (note the camo scheme on the mag pouches).

post-3807-0-18941000-1497264890_thumb.jpg

I also own that custom Alice lbe seen on the SF soldier on the left, the one with the m60 sling.

Pretty basic lbe except for the custom made suspenders (found a SF SSI in the buttpack and there are initials and last 4 of SSN written inside the belt)

post-3807-0-06369500-1497264944.jpg

Both were casually picked on ebay, the photos were found later.

Corpsmancollector

Some fantastic items have been posted to this topic! The stand out for me has got to Robin’s Reising pouches and Jim’s camouflage demolition bag. USMC gold right there!

Thanks to all contributors, some really stimulating stuff for us web gear nuts,

Will

phantomfixer

Besides airing out the field gear... it has been interesting to see the unusual stuff...modern and vintage....truly educational...thanks for posting...

Very interesting the see the water trough...

Besides airing out the field gear... it has been interesting to see the unusual stuff...modern and vintage....truly educational...thanks for posting...

Very interesting the see the water trough...

Time and space fail me to comment on all the great stuff that's shown up so far.

The modern LCE gear is just tremendous, but everything else is too!

This thread will probably end up with at least 20 pages B)

WILL!!!! What's up, man??

RustyCanteen

Very nice pieces everyone! Please keep posting, remember it doesn't have to be rare to be your favorite too. If you only had one item you considered rare, and already posted it here, then go ahead and post more of your favorite items too.

RC

General Apathy

Very nice pieces everyone! Please keep posting, remember it doesn't have to be rare to be your favorite too. If you only had one item you considered rare, and already posted it here, then go ahead and post more of your favorite items too.

RC

Hi RC, as there seems to be a heavy interest in USMC items I thought I would add this early Marine garrison belt.

lewis.

post-344-0-01568800-1497439061_thumb.jpg

Good day all...

While this is certainly not a rare piece of field gear, this is my favorite to date.

This is a 1915-dated RIA marked haversack, complete with dog-eared tail with a nicely printed engineer insignia...

post-92682-0-29638400-1497446110.jpg

Again, this is not necessarily a rare piece, but this is the first I have ever owned.

A Model 1910 canteen cover, marked and dated RIA 1916 with Lift the Dot fasteners...

post-92682-0-87089900-1497446345.jpg

Again, this is not necessarily a rare piece, but this is the first I have ever owned.

A Model 1910 canteen cover, marked and dated RIA 1916 with Lift the Dot fasteners...

My apologies...maybe I should clarify this post.

What makes this M1910 canteen cover a little more rarer than others is that this 1916-dated cover features L-t-D closures other than the typical Eagle Snap closures usually found on 1916-dated gear...

TR

Hi RC, as there seems to be a heavy interest in USMC items I thought I would add this early Marine garrison belt.

lewis.

Wow Ken, I have never seen one of those marked to the Marines before! Really interesting!

Cheers, Graham

RustyCanteen

lewis.

Hi Ken,

Fantastic garrison belt, I too have never seen a USMC marked one. Thank you for adding it to this thread.

Regards,

RC

Good day all...

While this is certainly not a rare piece of field gear, this is my favorite to date.

This is a 1915-dated RIA marked haversack, complete with dog-eared tail with a nicely printed engineer insignia...

Hi TR,

That is an excellent example! Have you looked under the meat can pouch? I have found that the stencils were sometimes applied to both the pack and the meat can pouch.

Thank you for sharing it.

RC

Hello RC,

I believe that the haversack flap has the same print. I will double check to be sure...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is something I didn't expect to stumble into; a Marine Corps Poncho which was printed in the original "Frogskin" color scheme, before the order to reverse the colors and darken the general shade was implemented.

One of the rarest 'flage pieces ever.

post-3226-0-48982200-1498190114_thumb.jpg

Shown beside a normal Marine Poncho, showing the difference in the colors of the spots.

post-3226-0-33163500-1498190270_thumb.jpg

Both of these made by Archer Rubber Co. and dated Sept. 17, 1942.

post-3226-0-91554100-1498190466_thumb.jpg

PeleliuMarine1944

Here is something I didn't expect to stumble into; a Marine Corps Poncho which was printed in the original "Frogskin" color scheme, before the order to reverse the colors and darken the general shade was implemented.

One of the rarest 'flage pieces ever.

That poncho is beautiful! Such an awesome find!

Thanks, man! Though there are probably more, I only know of one other guy ("GIJive") who has one of these.

I remember buying one at a show many years ago that was very stiff, so I sold it when I found a "softie" for sale in a catalogue.

I immediately noticed that the colors were different than the one that was now gone, and it wasn't until recent years that I learned why this was the case.

This one is nice and supple; usually the early-run stuff made it to the field first, but this one survived somehow.

Both of these made by Archer Rubber Co. and dated Sept. 17, 1942.

Very cool stuff, and perfect for your collection! Congrats!

PeleliuMarine1944

Just created a seperate thread on this. But couldn't resist to share it! Depot FAP that still has the DQP stamp!

post-162210-0-60944100-1498331940.jpg

post-162210-0-88824000-1498331986.jpg

Photo of the Stamp.

post-162210-0-89071400-1498331965.jpg