US WW1 First Draft Registration 100 Years Ago Today

bertmedals

bertmedals

While it was the hope of President Wilson that the war could be fought with volunteers only about 73,000 men had signed up in the 6 weeks following the declaration of war. Consequently, President Wilson agreed with Secretary of War Newton Baker's recommendation for a draft. Subsequently, the Selective Service Act was enacted on May 18, 1917. June 5, 1917 was selected as the first of what would be three draft registration days for the United States during the war. All males ages 21-30 had to register in person. That was later increased to 18-45. Since there was still living memory of the Civil War draft riots, communities went out of their way to prepare people, create a patriotic atmosphere and recognize the men who registered with medals, buttons and ribbons. The first registration 100 years ago today led to 2.8 million men being drafted by the end of the war.

Here's a small salute to those who registered 100 years ago today.

post-1496-0-26729000-1496711839.jpg

Neat pieces to remember many brave men. Sad how many so exited to register for the draft would never come home a year later...

bertmedals

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Let's not forget the guys on the other side of the table who made it all happen:

post-1496-0-97207400-1496790277.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Dennis,

Believe it or not I just found your post on this subject!

You have a great set of pins and badges from that era, thanks for showing.

I've been mailing back and forth letters with my 95 year old aunt (the last of that generation in my family) about some bits and pieces of our family history and she has helped put some things together for me. I found out that my great grandfather was on the local Selective Service Board in Whiteside County Illinois during WW1. With that information and looking through things I had in storage, I found his Selective Service Board book and his lapel pin!

It doesn't take long for family history to be lost and I'm very happy to have recovered this little bit!

Kim

post-60-0-53681200-1560778771.jpg

post-60-0-10596300-1560778782.jpg

post-60-0-19558000-1560778791_thumb.jpg

Hi Dennis,

Believe it or not I just found your post on this subject!

You have a great set of pins and badges from that era, thanks for showing.

I've been mailing back and forth letters with my 95 year old aunt (the last of that generation in my family) about some bits and pieces of our family history and she has helped put some things together for me. I found out that my great grandfather was on the local Selective Service Board in Whiteside County Illinois during WW1. With that information and looking through things I had in storage, I found his Selective Service Board book and his lapel pin!

It doesn't take long for family history to be lost and I'm very happy to have recovered this little bit!

Kim

Nice stuff and great you have been able to preserve some of your family's history. The WW1 selective service could use some more detailed research in my experience. Thanks for posting it.

world war I nerd

Excellent topic Dennis, on a much overlooked WW I subject. Thanks for starting it.

I can contribute a few images of draftees, as well as a couple documents that the conscripts received along the way.

It is not known if these unidentified men were volunteers or drafted men, Either way, they are bound for the U.S. Army, and most likely for the war in Europe.

post-5143-0-21608200-1561211883_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

All of the men who registered for the draft received a registration card to prove that fact. Green draft registration cards, like this example, were the first of two different styles that were presented by the local boards to each potential draftee. The reverse of this particular card was not scanned or posted because it was blank and contained nothing of interest.

Next to the registration card is a photo of Harold Addison Smith, the man the card was issued to.

post-5143-0-61918300-1561212328_thumb.jpg

post-5143-0-67243400-1561212358_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

At some point the green draft registration certificates were replaced by on printed on plain card stock bearing an entirely different design. As such, the reverse of this example had been stamped with an appropriate notification.

post-5143-0-94336400-1561212484_thumb.jpg

post-5143-0-11011700-1561212584_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

A similar second pattern draft registration certificate without the stamped notification on its reverse.

post-5143-0-61817300-1561212826_thumb.jpg

post-5143-0-78096600-1561212844_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Front and back of the notice to appear for physical examination postcard that each potential inductee received.

post-5143-0-51803300-1561212905_thumb.jpg

post-5143-0-69944400-1561212924_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Front and back of the first pattern notice of classification postcard sent to each potential conscript courtesy of his local draft board.

post-5143-0-37106600-1561213236_thumb.jpg

post-5143-0-16682900-1561213250_thumb.jpg

Brian,

Thank you and thanks for the additional posts on this topic. The photographs in particular are really great. Some of the county and town histories contain some interesting descriptions of the various draft days. From my research there seemed to be considerable concern as to what would happen especially in the states of the former Confederacy. There was, of course, living memory of the Civil War draft riots as well. Nevertheless, it all seemed to have largely turned out as an enormous nation-wide patriotic event -- almost festive. That said, I've also encountered a number of items about "slackers" especially in news accounts of the time and some accounts of draft resistance including the emergence of consientious objectors (although that subject appears to be relatively well studied thanks in part to Alvin York). This is another area that needs additional research in my opinion. I have some items concerning that aspect filed away and will post them in a follow up.

Dennis

All of the men who registered for the draft received a registration card to prove that fact. Green draft registration cards, like this example, were the first of two different styles that were presented by the local boards to each potential draftee. The reverse of this particular card was not scanned or posted because it was blank and contained nothing of interest.

Next to the registration card is a photo of Harold Addison Smith, the man the card was issued to.

I used to have my Grandfather's card . It was just like this one. He did not get called up and did not serve.