Banana Wars Era EGA for the Barracks Cover

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

While not the sort of EGA rarity we've seen most recently posted in EGA discussion, this gem can be very elusive to find, in almost any condition, as the number of Officers in the ranks during the 1920-30 period had drifted down to roughly 1000. Show here is the quintessential 1926 Officer EGA pattern for wear with the service green or khaki uniform cover, and likely made in the early 20's It is virtually identical to the pattern from the years preceding WW1, however, this emblem reflects the subtle change in hallmarks as depicted on the rear. The other link to its predecessor is the "Meyers Metal" stamp on the anchor cross bar.

The distinctive design on the front of this emblem is the clue to its maker - Meyer Metal. The abundant serifs across the bottom of both wings which define the wings tip and opulent shape of the applied continents with broadly configured dimension, and clearly defined outline of the Northern and Southern hemisphere were used from 1912 through WW2. And characteristic of a transitional emblem, the globe is lightly stempled throughout. Pieces that came along after this emblem began to depict hand or machine "fretting or chase work" along the lines of latitude.

And if you look look closely at the hallmarks on the reverse, you will note one of the Meyer Metal Shield hallmarks (anchor location) is actually stamped in reverse, something I've not seen before - or noticed before. Has anyone else seen - noticed this type of error before on a Meyer hallmarked EGA? s/f Darrell

1926_brown_cap_ega__s_001.jpg

Beautiful and rare bird, Darrel! thumbsup.gif Great pictures! Looks to me like the anchor Meyer shield logo is raised, indicating that it is part of the die used to strike the anchor. Why it came out backwards, I don't know but will say I have seen reversed Meyer shields on other insignia, wings I believe, but don't think I own any now.

Semper Fi....Bobgee