Estate Sale of the Year – So Far…21st Marines, Iwo Jima

AustinO

I do a lot of estate sales. Here in Minnesota, it usually involves spending Friday night/Saturday morning in your car, instead of at a bar or snuggled up in bed sleeping (yes, we camp out at sales in the winter, when it’s -20 below). The early bird truly gets the worm .

It was 3 AM when I showed up at the sale with a buddy – I brought backup. We were numbers 2 and 3 (here in MN you line up in order of who shows up first, you can’t leave and have to stay until the sale company hands out numbers). The sale ad online had pretty poor pictures, and my only hint was “duffel bags” and “uniforms” in the description. By 6 AM we knew our competition, they were #’s 1 and 4 in line– we were book-ended. My buddy and I had scoped out the sale (peeked in the house windows), there was a Japanese helmet sitting just inside the back door on a box, out in the open and my friend said he was going for that.

The doors opened. I knew #1 was going upstairs to the bedrooms, and #4 was going to grab anything else (like the helmet). I followed #1 upstairs. She broke left, I broke right – and immediately heard a loud “SH**!” from behind me. Directly in front of me was a USMC UNIS marked seabag, half full. I grabbed it, turned around, went into the room my competition had entered and found a dry cleaners zip up bag. The only thing in the closet, I unzipped it – and was greeted with two 3rd Mar Div patches on uniforms. Heading downstairs, I met my buddy with the helmet, and a Japanese belt/bayonet/cartridge box. He’d done well too! We scoured the house, and had made a pile in the living room – we even had to fight others from picking things out of our pile. When it came time to pony up, we discovered that this sale company liked to deal and wanted to set a whole price for the pile (items were not priced individually). Well one look at our pile, and the lead woman offered up a price – more of a get it out of here price than a what it’s worth price. I couldn’t get my wallet out fast enough.

post-5941-0-89889000-1496541781_thumb.jpg

This veteran enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1936, serving 4 years on reserve status here in Minnesota at the Naval Air Station. He was discharged in 1940, an re-enlisted in early 1942. Posted to the 9th Marines on his reenlistment, he served with them for about a year before being transferred to the 21st Marines as an NCO in the Regiment’s Headquarters. In early 1945 he was transferred to HQ of the 3rd Marine Division, though in the March/April Muster Rolls he’s shown as being on detached service with HQ 21st Marines. He came back with the 3rd Division, and was discharged in late 1945 returning to live a long life in Minnesota. He died in the late 1980s, with his widow passing this last year. I’m sure his medals, helmet and other uniform pieces went with their children as they seemed to be the only pieces missing.

post-5941-0-79107100-1496542203_thumb.jpg

Most of the trousers and coats have 1930s contract dates, and are just as put away at the end of the war. The seabag is covered in 3rd Division UNIS markings. The camo painted field packs and suspenders are also UNIS marked in yellow, red and blue. They were in the bottom of the seabag, and we didn’t find them until sorting through the loot after the sale. The red diamonds on the fronts of the packs were done prior to their being camouflaged.

post-5941-0-65649800-1496542304.jpg

post-5941-0-45875400-1496542313.jpg

This was the toughest thing to track down, a uniformed picture of him wearing the same blues purchased.

post-5941-0-48884300-1496542381.jpg

Holy Sh*t is putting it mildly! What a great find...especially the Japanese helmet and belt!

Mark sends

The only thing that would have made it better is if there was a penned note in the liner "picked up on Iwo" (there wasn't, I checked). :dry:

Holy Crap!!!! What a score. What's up with those boots, are they U.S. or Japanese? Amazing find.

Those are 1942 contract US jungle boots.

The brown shoes I'm not sure on - did the Marines wear brown cap toe shoes in the 30s? There were also a couple USMCWR items in the sale but even though these are tiny size I don't think they're womens...

Marineradioop

That is an amazing group. I have a ninth Marines unit shirt (I was in 3/9 for a few years)That has that same "Striking Ninth" logo on it. Looks like your effort paid off.

Haha, it sounded like a real thriller in there!!

Congrats and well done for that huge grouping. Must be truly satisfying after the drive down/sleep over ;)

Regards

JEB

Schnicklfritz

Awesome group! Love that painted field gear. It looks to have that early "orange" trim on the packs. Would love to just have that pack set!

Awesome group! Love that painted field gear. It looks to have that early "orange" trim on the packs. Would love to just have that pack set!

Both have the buckles with clinched a d right it attachment.....is it the early D ring pack or have the spring clips o the shoulder straps.