WWII 7th Infantry Division Dog Tag Grouping

Collector .45

Collector .45

Picked up this little grouping recently. Named to a Curnie Collins who appears to have enlisted just a few days after Pearl Harbor in 1941. I am looking forward to seeing what I can turn up about his career.

- Henry

post-104196-0-67838000-1496507455_thumb.jpg

post-104196-0-89484400-1496507461_thumb.jpg

ParanormalTrooper

Nice little grouping, thanks for sharing.

Please keep us updated on what you find!

• 1 year later...

When I was a child, I often heard Curnie Collins speak of his war experiences in conversations with other veterans. He spoke of being of the Aleutians, the Philippines, and elsewhere. One of his jobs was walking in advance of armored tanks, looking for landmines. He was my dad. The name "Cassie" on his dog tags referred to his mother--my grandmother. After the war Dad was a civilian driver for the Army at the Lima Ordinance ("Tank Depot") in Ohio. One of my childhood memories is attending a family picnic at the Ordinance and riding in both a tank and a "duck." The duck, in particular, was VERY noisy but fun for kids to ride in.

When the Ordinance was shuttered, Dad was laid off. After some months, he found work in the Ford Motor Company engine plant in Lima. (General Dynamics later revived the tank facility. I think the Abrams tank was made there.) By the way, Mom had also worked at the Tank Depot, during the war.

After his death, my mother auctioned almost all of Dad's things. My guess is that she did not realize that Dad's army mementos were included, or, in her desperation to raise cash, did not consider their value to our family as heirlooms, providing a measure of contact with Dad. Mom is also gone, now. If possible, I would like to have them returned to our family. Thanks.

P.S. I have tried to post a photo or two here of Dad in his uniform, one photo taken in Hawaii, but I have been unable to find out exactly how. I have posted several on my Facebook page, but I'm not sure whether you can view them without "friending" me.