AU 8245 GHQ RAIDER tabs

kiaiokalewa

kiaiokalewa

Most might know or have already seen the batch of RAIDER tabs that was up on eBay recently. Truly an unbelievable find for that vendor. During my acquisition I learned that the top of our food chain (one of the militaria dealers) had purchased the remaining 60 or so tabs as an investment and of course control the market. GREAT STRATEGY but that leaves the few of us that did jump on this once in a lifetime opportunity to openly engage in some type of trade on some damn hard insignia to find from the Korean War.

The point is I plan to have these in the For Trade section of the forum as soon as I figure out what I want for them.

In the meantime enjoy the great Japanese made insignia.

Aloha,

John

post-1384-0-71725300-1496444319_thumb.jpg

post-1384-0-12117800-1496444341_thumb.jpg

KidKuparuk

This is what Harry Rinker, a well-known appraiser, commentator and columnist on the collectables market would call a “hoard.” The owner faces the challenge of how to liquidate the hoard without collapsing the market by satisfying demand too fast. In this case existence of the hoard is known, at least to some, so there will be a significant number of buyers waiting for the price to come down. There will, of course, be the “gotta have one” crowd vying for the first ones to hit the market regardless of cost.

In one of his Q and A columns Rinker discusses a possible strategy for liquidating a hoard, in this case a hoard of books. http://www.harryrinker.com/col-1457.html

Dribbling the tabs onto the market at the rate of 4 to 6 per year will take 10 or 15 years. Setting a high initial price will satisfy the "cost is no object" crowd, while the rest wait for the price to come down. It will be interesting to watch.

If anyone recalls the Marine Cape Gloucester tab. 15 to 20 years ago and beyond this tab would see asking prices, at times, near $500. A 'hoard" of WW2 Marine cloth insignia "Cape Gloucester" tab included hit the market sometime after this and drove the price on this tab down drastically. Not sure if it has ever recovered.

mortaydc60

My recollection of the Cape gloster tab is different. with few exceptions the price has been relatively stable during all the years.

kiaiokalewa

Yes the "Red Hoard" indeed. Rinkers article hits the point right center of the proverbial nail head. At least the RAIDER tab wil not loose it's value over the course of time due to misidentification as in the case of the aka First Ryukyus Command. I now see them on eBay at $9.99 with no nibbles. At one point in time they reeled in over a grand.

kiaiokalewa

Update

It appears that the apex deal was a bust for the vendor of the RAIDER TABS on eBay. They are currently available.

Also, I just posted my interests in the "For Trade" section of the forum. Let's see if we can do some horse trading.

• 2 years later...

I just picked one up from the original bender as a BIN. Though I am going to be liquidating my collection in the future I could not resist as I am going to make a neat wall plaque to this unit for the veterans resource center that I run.

Thanks for bringing this back up, I just picked one up because I think it will be a really cool addition to the GHQ collection that I am starting to build in the memory of my Grandfather who I believe wore this patch in WW2 and the occupation period.

Bearmon when the tabs first came out with this vender I think he was selling them for $60-80. Before this hoard came out the tab was at least $200 if you could find one.

For $30 you cannot go wrong. Some longtime collectors have tried to

Move theirs on eBay at auction but they have sold more than $70.

You can find nice bullion ones too attached to the ghq patch. A little beat up one sold 2-3 months ago for $250.

For the unit history....$30 is so worth it imho

Once all of the 60 or so tabs are picked up at $30 the market should return to its once higher price. If it was a 200 tab years ago and no one knew, and now they are all gone and people are in the know, the price again should increase is my belief

Once all of the 60 or so tabs are picked up at $30 the market should return to its once higher price. If it was a 200 tab years ago and no one knew, and now they are all gone and people are in the know, the price again should increase is my belief

+1