Odd Shoulder Patch in WWII Photo Album

jeffs1130

I have this photo album with WWII photos in it…

Has some photos of soldiers during award ceremony what looks like in the Alps… But the odd thing is the patch! Looks like block numbers “100”. I know there is a 100th Infantry Division but this doesn’t look like that patch! Could be theater made version or another unit altogether!

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks -Jeff

post-163305-0-76622200-1496275966_thumb.jpgpost-163305-0-97532800-1496275969_thumb.jpg

post-163305-0-82236400-1496275973_thumb.jpg

Thanks! 100th Chemical Mortar Battalion! That would explain the artillery and Italian pics!

Never knew such a unit existed nor had their own patches!

Really? I offered it for sale on here to a member who collects 100th infantry division stuff and he didn't want it... Glad I didn't sell it!

There are several other pics of the ceremony, where this officer is giving out what looks like are Bronze Stars.

I picked this up at the flea market for $30. Has knocked out German tanks, Italian ruins, Cemetery photos of wreath laying, and early training pics at on US Army base.

Cool album! I'll have to research this unit more, there are some named photos.

Thanks!

BILL THE PATCH

100th chemical bn is much different then the 100th inf div, I hardly ever see the patch for sale, but a patch

Being worn in a photo. I thinks it's pretty rare. Maybe it's just me

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

From looking online, I believe the officer in the pic is Lt. Col. Russell E. McMurray C/O of the battalion.

There is a pic of him on find a grave... I'm no facial recognition expert but the ears match up pretty well!

BILL THE PATCH

That's a beaut. Whenever I do see one for sale there always seems to be some damage, not on this one. perfect

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Bill Scott

Jeffs1130 4.2 mean the opening of the Mortar tube is 4.2 inches across which makes it 107MM shell.It was Used in WW2 Korea and Vietnam.Scotty