WWI Tribute to Horses

I saw this powerful picture today which was taken in 1918. It was unknown who took this picture. American soldiers paying tribute to all the horses that lost their life in World War I.

WWI Soldiers.jpg

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

The Remount and veterinary corps never really received their fair share of recognition for what they accomplished during the war. This is a great photo that I have never seen, thanks for sharing.

Mitch Fenton

AEF CAV

Mitchell R. Fenton

Lebanon, New Jersey

I am presently working on a publication dedicated to the cavalry regiments that served in France with the AEF and AFG 1918-1923

any assistance with the sharing of items or information would be appreciated and will be given full credit.

2nd, 3rd, 6th and 15th cavalry and colateral units.

Very neat photo, thank you for sharing it.

It was a brutal war on anyone, but not least the animals caught in it.

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Love the photo!

Looking for: Fourth/ Seventh Rhode Island Infantry items

Purple Heart : Robert L. Freitag KIA ETO 2/11/45

Any US/German items with the last name "Freitag"

also, war-related posters

donation2013.gif

By most accounts, the cavalrymen and quartermaster personnel that manned the remount system were very attached to their charges. This photo, however, was probably not done specifically as a tribute to those horses. At some point during the War (or just after) a group of photographers went out and did a whole series of these "Living Insignia" photos. The men were all grouped to form their divisional or unit insignias. It was common for the remount depots to include the silhouette of a horse's head on their divisional shoulder insignia; so it only follows that they should do this for their photo.