WWI Tribute to Horses

cutiger83

I saw this powerful picture today which was taken in 1918. It was unknown who took this picture. American soldiers paying tribute to all the horses that lost their life in World War I.

WWI Soldiers.jpg

The Remount and veterinary corps never really received their fair share of recognition for what they accomplished during the war. This is a great photo that I have never seen, thanks for sharing.

Mitch Fenton

AEF CAV

RustyCanteen

Very neat photo, thank you for sharing it.

It was a brutal war on anyone, but not least the animals caught in it.

RC

littlewilly

Wish I owned one like this! I have only 3 remount squadron "yard long" photos, with nothing of real interest in them. Really nice! MHJ

By most accounts, the cavalrymen and quartermaster personnel that manned the remount system were very attached to their charges. This photo, however, was probably not done specifically as a tribute to those horses. At some point during the War (or just after) a group of photographers went out and did a whole series of these "Living Insignia" photos. The men were all grouped to form their divisional or unit insignias. It was common for the remount depots to include the silhouette of a horse's head on their divisional shoulder insignia; so it only follows that they should do this for their photo.

• 5 years later...
MedrickMilitaria
On 6/8/2017 at 4:12 PM, littlewilly said:

Wish I owned one like this! I have only 3 remount squadron "yard long" photos, with nothing of real interest in them. Really nice! MHJ

Which squadrons are they? My Great-Great-Grandfather was in the 312th.