1946 dated mess kit?

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

Dug through the box of Vietnam and 80s era mess kits at the surplus store and pulled out a 45 dated one and this 46 dated one thought it was very odd with that date so I bought it. Surely there was no need to make more of these in 46? The amount of WW2 dated kits had to have been more than enough till Korea.

post-104619-0-77265200-1496254655_thumb.jpgpost-104619-0-34072300-1496254667_thumb.jpg

Rakkasan187

There is a good possibility that the contract the US Government had with this company carried over into 1946. Keep in mind that the War in Japan was predicted to last into 1946, but the with the A-bomb being developed and deployed, the war ended..

In order for the company to be paid for the commitment they had with the Government, they were producing war material even after the war ended.

Many Army and Navy contracts were cancelled but many more were still met and the Government made well on their obligations to pay the factories as well as the factories continuing to make the product to ensure payment. So factories without cancelled contracts were making the war materials, post VJ Day..

Leigh

RustyCanteen

As Leigh said, it was probably an uncancelled contract. It is a lot like what happened with the 1919 dated equipment. Some of the contracts got canceled when the war ended, but many others continued for several months. It is a nice find though, and in good condition.

SergeantMajorGray

Thanks yeah I thought it was a good buy I'd kinda like to pick up a 80s one as you don't see them too often.

RustyCanteen

The surplus store I used to check in at had a bunch of 1980s dated mess kits (even a couple in packaging), but I was trying to pick up the WWII dated kits and forgot to pick up a late issue one. Now of course, they are long gone.

Rakkasan187
A friend of mine from another forum contacted me and provided this information...

"The meat can with the R.M. Co. 1946 handle recently discussed on USMF, was not an uncancelled contract. Res Mfg. Co. (R.M. Co.) 1946-47, U.S. Mfg. Co. 1945, and Jeffersonville Quartermaster Depot (J.Q.M.D.) 1948, manufactured replacement handles only, that were utilized in the salvage of meat cans. The original unserviceable handle was discarded so the manufacturer information was lost. These replacement handles could be used on Meat Can M1942, Meat Can Aluminum, or Meat Can CRS".

Leigh

SergeantMajorGray

A friend of mine from another forum contacted me and provided this information...

"The meat can with the R.M. Co. 1946 handle recently discussed on USMF, was not an uncancelled contract. Res Mfg. Co. (R.M. Co.) 1946-47, U.S. Mfg. Co. 1945, and Jeffersonville Quartermaster Depot (J.Q.M.D.) 1948, manufactured replacement handles only, that were utilized in the salvage of meat cans. The original unserviceable handle was discarded so the manufacturer information was lost. These replacement handles could be used on Meat Can M1942, Meat Can Aluminum, or Meat Can CRS".

Leigh

Very interesting thanks for the info!

Rakkasan187

Glad to be able to provide detailed information. Researching and providing accurate information for members is what we strive for.. My presumption was just a possibility, but I was glad that another member who has done this research was able to provide the proper information specific to this mess kit handle and contract information.

Leigh

• 5 years later...
On 6/1/2017 at 9:40 AM, Rakkasan187 said:

Leigh

Great detective work. I'm glad that you got a handle on the situation.

Mikie