M1910 Canteen Cover, Rare Manufacturer

Jake the Collector

Jake the Collector

I acquired this canteen cover recently for a mannequin display depicting a GI in North Africa, and I thought I'd share it on here since it's pretty interesting. It was manufactured by the very seldom-seen "Excel Lea Manufacturing Corporation." It has no date, but from what I've read, these were produced in early 1941; note that it still has the rear seam as opposed to the side seam, which appeared later in '41. It is in very nice condition and is fitted with "Star Pull" fasteners with the raised star logo. If anyone has further details on this sort of cover, please let me know.

post-159182-0-22766900-1496174604_thumb.jpg

post-159182-0-51734600-1496174615_thumb.jpg

Really nice! Thanks for sharing.

It's short for "EXCEL LEATHER ... " They had a contract for canteen covers between May and October 1941.

Jake the Collector

It's short for "EXCEL LEATHER ... " They had a contract for canteen covers between May and October 1941.

Thanks for the info. I knew "Lea" didn't sound right.

Hi

I have the same canteen cover, markings are faded but It is an Excel Lea.Mfg. Corp. It's exactly the same construction, comes with a 1918/1941 canteen and cup.

Where can we find contracts dates for this manufacturer?

post-151900-0-84468400-1496608107.jpg