How do I clean/Stragihten out a WW1 Uniform

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

Hey guys, I know that the ww1 uniforms are alot more delicate then ww2 ones,and i jsut recieved a ww1 uniform and on the back of the bottom tunic is red staining..should i mess with it and try a prduct to get it out? And also is there a way to un wrinkle the uniform without damaging it.Thank You guys

I wouldn't say they are "a lot" more delicate. If they have been stored reasonably well, and aren't deteriorating, a trip to the dry cleaners won't do it any harm.

Actually, if it is dirty, it will do it some good. Dirt has a slightly base Ph, which over time will break down the fibers. It is also hydrophillic which means that it will absorb moisture from the fibers tending to make them brittle. Finally, silicon dioxide and Carbon will abrade the fibers from the inside. So removing dirt is usually a positive thing for preservation.

Look in your phone book for a "specialty" cleaners. One that works with high end things like wedding gowns, leather, and furs.

Tell them you want them to use cleaning solution without chemical brighteners. These leave a residue that will fluoresce under black light.

If the uniform has any very delicate insignia (old silk or gold embroidery) you can cover it with a gauze pad safety pinned to the uniform (not the insignia). This will help protect it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had excellent luck using a dry cleaner who specializes in fire restoration. They have what is called an "ozone chamber" they put the garments in to remove the smoke smell. I used them some years ago on an officer's tunic that absolutely stunk to high heaven. Killed the odor dead.

Tom thumbsup.gif

Greetings,

An inexpensive way to "de-wrinkle" a clothing item is to hang it in the bathroom when you shower. Though it won't be "picture perfect" it does release some of the fabric folds as well as release a lot of odors. Something pulled from the bottom of a duffel bag requires some gentle tugging and several showers but it helps. BUT: be sure to remove any metal insignia and wipe down moisture on any buttons, hooks, etc. following a "bath".

I've used this method for years with no detrimental effects. Keep in mind this doesn't remove dirt or stains. Sometimes a gentle "beating" will release surface dirt/dust; note the operative word "gentle" :) The key is patience. There is no quick fix to caring for vintage textiles.

Best,

Peter

FightenIrish35
Greetings,

An inexpensive way to "de-wrinkle" a clothing item is to hang it in the bathroom when you shower. Though it won't be "picture perfect" it does release some of the fabric folds as well as release a lot of odors. Something pulled from the bottom of a duffel bag requires some gentle tugging and several showers but it helps. BUT: be sure to remove any metal insignia and wipe down moisture on any buttons, hooks, etc. following a "bath".

I've used this method for years with no detrimental effects. Keep in mind this doesn't remove dirt or stains. Sometimes a gentle "beating" will release surface dirt/dust; note the operative word "gentle" :) The key is patience. There is no quick fix to caring for vintage textiles.

Best,

Peter

Thank you Peter. I tried the bathroom steam a few tries and it didnt work. So I went ahead and used an Ironer on gentle with slight steam. And it really did the trick. I recommend that to anyone who stumbles across this thread!! thumbsup.gif