Army Flight Suit Question

viking73

Hi Guys,

I came across this army flight suit offered for sale. I really like it, but I have a big problem with one of the patches on the collar. What is up with the quartermaster branch insignia? Would it even be possible for someone from quartermaster to be a flight instructor?! The suit has a 1960 date on the label of that matters at all...

I'd sure like to get others opinions on this one as the asking price is not cheap (in my opinion!).

Thanks in advance,

-Derek

post-5482-0-73505400-1496075421_thumb.jpg

post-5482-0-82924200-1496075436_thumb.jpg

John Conway

Absolutely possible. The Army drew aviators from many of it's branches prior to the inception of the Aviation Branch in 1983.

nagmashdriver

Very interesting. It's a US Navy summer flying coveralls which was pretty rare for the Army to use. Nice find!

John Conway

Label indicates it is a K-2B and there is a USAF Spec. number. I don't think this particular example is Navy issue.

As John Conway noted above, prior to 1983 the Aviation Branch didn't exist. Commissioned officers and enlisted personnel wore the branch insignia of their qualifying MOS. It was very common to see officers/enlisted wearing infantry, artillery, chemical corps, etc branch insignia while assigned to aviation unit. The familiar winged-prop (slightly modified from the WW2 version) was adopted in April 1983. Warrant officers didn't start wearing aviation branch insignia until 2004 -- more than 20 years later.

So, commissioned officers and enlisted -- prior to 1983, branch insignia of qualifying MOS / Aviation branch winged-prop after 1983

Warrant officers -- prior to 2004, 'squashed bug' worn by all WOs / Aviation branch winged-prop after 2004