MINT 1944 Jungle Hammock

2ndInf.Div.

2ndInf.Div.

I just picked this up last week and finally had a chance to take a closer look at it. This is a stone MINT, unissued, May 1944 dated jungle hammock. All tags are still present, the rubber is still in great shape, and there are no holes or tears whatsoever. There also appears to be a net/rope repair kit on the inside.

post-80799-0-93178000-1495911991_thumb.jpg

post-80799-0-34072500-1495912003_thumb.jpg

post-80799-0-60118600-1495912012_thumb.jpg

2ndInf.Div.

Lastly, here is a great photo scanned at the National Archives by the 100th Infantry Division (Re-enacted) of one of these hammocks being strung up. This is from the 37th Infantry Division on Bougainville in November, 1943.

post-80799-0-15355600-1495912305_thumb.jpg

phantomfixer

That is a great hammock!...they are tons of fun...just make sure u use bungee on the canopy as stated in the instructions...great score enjoy

2ndInf.Div.

Thanks! I originally bought this to use for reenacting (I'm big into PTO), but after opening it up and seeing that it's unissued, I'm just going to keep it for my collection. Don't want to take the chance of ripping it.

'Flage Guy

Not only in unused condition, but a "transitional" dark-and-light O.D. example, making it a double score, IMO!

Well done!

Keeps your best friend safe too - with the web loop and sling on the bottom so you can suspend your M1 and keep it off the deck and outta the rain while you catch forty winks. And the provision to prevent dew and rain from trickling down the ropes into the hammock is so clever. Its like the Space Shuttle of hammocks. good find indeed.

Bellumbill

Very nice! I have a few of these and have never understood how those tiny ropes could hold anyone up! I ain't gonna try it.

Thanks for posting -

Very best,

Bill K.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a friend that fought in the Pacific with the 41 st. Div. He told me that if there was a sergeant they didn't like they would take a machete and cut the ropes while they were sleeping.Salty used things are nice. But it's also nice to have a as issued example to show also.

• 2 months later...

I have a few of these, myself. I have always been curious who was actually issued these... Thanks for the great pic!!