Gemsco Service Pilot Wing

srossio

post-300-1224523520.jpg

post-300-1224523528.jpg

Well Ladies and Gents,

I have a pair of Gemsco wings for your consideration which I purchased about ten+ years ago for the sum of $20.00. It was a dreaded impulse purchase as I was at a military show, had not found anything to buy...and was about ready to leave (I KNOW YOU HAVE ALL BEEN THERE!). I also had an older man behind me who refused to respect my "personal space" while I was looking at them. On top of his elbows, etc. in my side and his arms in my face (and his B.O.) he gave me about thirty or so seconds to look at the wings before asking if I was going to buy them or just "stroke them" as he put it. He also proceeded to offer the dealer extra money if he would sell them to him instead of me (the dealer told him rather harshly that I was looking at them first and if I didn't want them then he could buy them). Was this guy a plant to close the sale...I don't think so due to the small dollar amount involved and the fact that he walked away with 8 to ten pair of wings...but you never know. Today (being much older and wiser) I would have told the jerk next to me to step off...and...I probably would not have gone for the impulse buy in the first place!

Well, long story short, I do like these wings but I have never been quite sure if they are original or a reproduction and I would like to see what the rest of you think. I should mention that because of my unsuredness, they have been sitting in my question box which I am now finally going through (I am putting the final touches on a new "War Room" and am in the stages of deciding what goes in and what goes away). I should also mention that I have shown them to a few other general military collectors and I have received a mix response.

I look forward to any and all comments...and I can give better close-ups if needed.

Steve

(I did not notice that the "S" was off center until I got home...another reason to stay away from impulse buys)

These are perfectly legit Service Pilot wings, I have had several pairs of these in the past. I think I have run into that guy before myself ....

Hi,

Those are 100% legit wings, and 20$ is a very good price for them. I used to see a fair amount of GEMSCO pilot wings with these added letters (S and G are pretty common, I don't know if I ever saw the L). I think the company simply took extra stock pilot wings and added the letters to try and avoid making new dies. A few other companies did this (all the Juarez "alphabet" wings, for example have the letter added to a pilot wing base).

I think the guy was hovering to try to scare you off a very good buy!

Not shabby for an impulse buy, IMHO.

Patrick

post-300-1224523520.jpg

post-300-1224523528.jpg

Well Ladies and Gents,

I have a pair of Gemsco wings for your consideration which I purchased about ten+ years ago for the sum of $20.00. It was a dreaded impulse purchase as I was at a military show, had not found anything to buy...and was about ready to leave (I KNOW YOU HAVE ALL BEEN THERE!). I also had an older man behind me who refused to respect my "personal space" while I was looking at them. On top of his elbows, etc. in my side and his arms in my face (and his B.O.) he gave me about thirty or so seconds to look at the wings before asking if I was going to buy them or just "stroke them" as he put it. He also proceeded to offer the dealer extra money if he would sell them to him instead of me (the dealer told him rather harshly that I was looking at them first and if I didn't want them then he could buy them). Was this guy a plant to close the sale...I don't think so due to the small dollar amount involved and the fact that he walked away with 8 to ten pair of wings...but you never know. Today (being much older and wiser) I would have told the jerk next to me to step off...and...I probably would not have gone for the impulse buy in the first place!

Well, long story short, I do like these wings but I have never been quite sure if they are original or a reproduction and I would like to see what the rest of you think. I should mention that because of my unsuredness, they have been sitting in my question box which I am now finally going through (I am putting the final touches on a new "War Room" and am in the stages of deciding what goes in and what goes away). I should also mention that I have shown them to a few other general military collectors and I have received a mix response.

I look forward to any and all comments...and I can give better close-ups if needed.

Steve

(I did not notice that the "S" was off center until I got home...another reason to stay away from impulse buys)

Hey,

Thanks you two. Like I said in my post, I have always liked them (they just feel good if you know what I mean), but when that seed of doubt is planted...

Well, it looks like I will be making a place for them in my new room!

One thing off my list!

Thanks again,

Steve

Paul & Patrick,

Are the attached letters the same on yours as the one posted?

John

BTW Steve I would like to see a close up of the shield and the S (THX)

John,

I don't have one in the collection right now, but yes, the "S" is the same as all the ones I have seen. It is just a letter added to the shield of a pilot wing, and not with a great deal of skill, to be honest. I think one or two examples of these wings are illustrated in the Silver Wings books. No doubt in my mind these wings are exactly like the ones I have seen before. I "S" has those little lines in the center.

Patrick

Paul & Patrick,

Are the attached letters the same on yours as the one posted?

John

BTW Steve I would like to see a close up of the shield and the S (THX)

Yep, Identical !

IMPERIAL QUEST

Fantastic wings, I have an inscribed Pilot version with the bent tab catch instead of a roller by this maker. I have always found the ratio of wing to shield size both interesting and quite attractive on this variety..and with the "S" applied, they are all the more sweeter!

Interesting - looks like that made a real nice match with the design of the shield i.e. the horizontal lines on the chief match those within the letter. I like those kind of details!

John

John,

Here is the close-up you requested. What looks like pits are just discoloration...

Steve

(if this is not clear enough for you let me know and I will play with the resoultion)

post-300-1224550669.jpg

Thanks Steve & Steve ;)

As I said before I like the fact they at least took the time to match the S up and make it look part of the design.

Nice wing!

John