Hand Carts

BC312

Just wondering if anyone has any information on the M3A4 or M4 hand carts for carrying ammo or mortar sets, .30 and .50 cal machine gun units.

Are there any drawings/ blue prints about, as i was thinking of making one to cart my .50cal around.

Johan Willaert

The M5A1 Cart was used to haul the .50Cal MG.

This was basically a standard M3A4 cart with added brackets and a different dataplate.

There's a guy in England that made perfect replica's. I don't know if he has any left, but here's a picture of one of those perfect replicas at Beltring last summer.

Beltring2008ReproM3A4.jpg

More info:

http://www.theliberator.be/handcart.htm

http://handcartz.smugmug.com/CARTS

Charlie Flick

Just about anything you would want to know about USGI hand carts can be found at http://handcartz.com/ . The guy that owns that site is a member and frequent contributor here. I am sure that he will be along soon to answer any additional questions you might have.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

• 3 weeks later...

see pics of signal corps reel handcart which i bought last year from on eof my pals in switzerland ...

was used by the swiss army - they convertem them just painting them in the grey Swiss-Army standard colour and stored them for 60 years!

it si fully complete - even the pull-handle for pulling with two guys is there ...

mines has still the overshoot material on the tyres from the vulcanization process!

my friend had several of them but all are gone to other collectors ...

no its not for sale!

see also pic of another one which i saw in Normandie 2007 ...

CableCart01.jpg

CableCart02.jpg

CableCart04.jpg

CableCart05.jpg

Greetings,

My buddy Jeff Shrader just posted an M3A4 Hand Cart for sale at his web site:

www.advanceguardmilitaria.com

I have seen the cart. No T- handle. Original paint is about 65% intact.

Here is the description:

Remember in the Longest Day when John Wayne was wounded? His buddies pulled him around in an "airborne hand cart." Well, the official name is "Hand Cart, M3A4, Utility." The John Wood Mfg. Co. made this example in 1944. Still in the original paint with original tires, this cart is in "as-found" condition but can be employed immediately in a static display or a simple restoration for active service. As is the case with most of these trailers still found in the wild, it is missing the drawbar. However, our friend Hayes Otoupalik has reproduced these and has them available for about $300. The axle grease cup on the right side is missing as well. Several of the bolts holding the axle in place and the U-clamp that holds the tongue to the box (these are the bolts that are pulled to break the cart down for shipping, so this makes some sense). Other than that, the cart is complete. Because these were designed as utility carts, there are a number of holes along the box for the addition of clamps or footman loops, depending on the particular intended use. The tires are the original WWII Goodyears, but the side of one is blown out. For rolling around with no load, this isn't a problem, but if you wanted to use this cart, you will want to buy a pair of the reproduction tires that are available. There are areas of minor surface rust. This one is so nice though, it is a toss-up whether to leave it in the original paint or restore it to original condition (our friend John Bizal at Midwest Military, Inc. can provide all your restoration needs - www.midwestmil.com). The data plate on the side lists its serial number 30461 and year of manufacture 1944. Though collectors and reenactors refer to these as "airborne carts", these show up on a number of various TO&Es, including infantry units in both the European and Pacific theaters (even the 10th Mountain Division listed a number!) so it will fit into a wide variety display scenarios. How big is it? It was designed to be pulled by two men (though it is very easily maneuvered by just one), towed behind a scooter, motorcycle or even a Jeep. Overall dimensions are about 178cm x 99cm x 51cm (70"x 39"x 20"). This can be shipped anywhere within the continental United States for $75. It probably can be shipped overseas, but rates have to be determined on a country-by-country basis. These hand carts are about the neatest military vehicle you can own, restore and use without having to give up a stall in the garage (and you can always tell your wife how handy it will be for working around the yard)!

Here are some pics of it:

http://www.advanceguardmilitaria.com/pictu...73/V41473-1.jpg

http://www.advanceguardmilitaria.com/pictu...73/V41473-2.jpg

http://www.advanceguardmilitaria.com/pictu...73/V41473-3.jpg

http://www.advanceguardmilitaria.com/pictu...73/V41473-4.jpg

http://www.advanceguardmilitaria.com/pictu...73/V41473-5.jpg

http://www.advanceguardmilitaria.com/pictu...73/V41473-6.jpg

http://www.advanceguardmilitaria.com/pictu...73/V41473-7.jpg

The price he has on it is $2350. I am not the owner of this...just posting. Contact Jeff at www.advanceguardmilitaria.com. I think you can log on as just a guest to see it. It is in the WWII section.

John A-G

Johan Willaert

It does not have the original WW2 Military tires, and the clamp holding the front of the tube isn't original either. The missing special thread bolts and self-locking nuts are the HARDEST to find and near impossible to replace!

It does not have the original WW2 Military tires, and the clamp holding the front of the tube isn't original either. The missing special thread bolts and self-locking nuts are the HARDEST to find and near impossible to replace!

Thanks for the note...just found out cart is SOLD.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would add one of my latest additions to my collection. I found this RL-16-A Reel Cart on a friend's ranch in Paso Robles, CA. It was produced by Jacobson Manufacturing Company in Racine, Wisconsin and was part of a USMC Contract 35587, May 26, 1942. I've done some research on the cart and it appears that the RL-16 was designed in the early 1920s as I have found references in late 1920s early 1930s manuals and journals and that it was out of date then. Jacobson Manufactoring Company built lawnmowers in peacetime. This cart was purchased by a farmer and owner of a small rural telephone network in the early 1950s at a surplus auction at Camp Roberts. I plan on restoring the cart and displaying it with my other WWII Telephone/Telegraph Equipment. It is NOT for sale.

post-2856-1228276852.jpg

That's a nice find! I don't know anyone else who has one. I have 3 tires and wheels, and mine are all cracked just like yours.

The RL-16 seems to be one of the tougher handcarts to find. Probably due to the fact that few farmers had much use for them. My friend's was going to use it to help string vineyard wire, but fortunately it did not work out. There had to be a lot of them in the Army as I have a picture of the Headquarters Company of the 5th Infantry and the signal platoon had three of them. Multiply that through the entire Army in 1941/42 and that is a lot of Reel Carts. My current dilemma is what color "olive drab" is the correct to paint the cart after I address the rust issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think I will also have to work around the cracked tires as I don't think there any repros and NOS will be harder to find than hen's teeth. Here is another view of the cart.

post-2856-1228367592.jpg

Here is the Data Plate. Tough to make out of this photo but it reads:

Reel Cart

Type RL-16-A

Signal Corps

U.S. Army

USMC Contract No m-35587 May 26, 1942

I actually had to make an etching to verify the information on the Data Plate as it was so hard to read.

post-2856-1228367978.jpg

For paint, I'd try to find a spot that had good original paint still visible. Then try to match it. Being a USMC cart, it may have been painted Forest Green.

• 1 year later...
craig johnson

New Cart just added to the collection. I was contacted a couple of months ago through my website asking me what it might be worth. There was another guy interested in it so I told him I wouldnt take less than "$$$$" and I guess that was to much for the other guy so he offered it to me.

The seller Sid told me this is how he found it.

"The cart I bought at a tool swap meet. A buddy of mine has a old foundry that was used to put water in Guthrie Okla. They casted all the fittings and man holes. Later they went into casting parts for the oil field. He has a museum of old tools. He holds a swap meet there every year for tools. A old man had the cart. It was turned upside down and used as a welding cart to haul bottles. I took all his parts off. "

It is missing the two brackets that hold the axle for the reel's, part of the kickstand (lower portion cut off. Why?) and a couple of other small parts. The tires are present, but are very dry and brittle. Has both hubcaps. The Cart also breaks down into 4 parts with small quick release handles.

It came delivered in the back of a 59 Pontiac station wagon.

933643155_5DniU-M.jpg

933645371_fvjmD-M.jpg

878156938_YPpXo-M.jpg

To bad the original owner had to knick the Data plate and wiped out the text saying Marine Corps. The manufacturers plate was ruined also.

878159417_Sprwa-M.jpg

Here are a couple of photos showing the Carts in use.

Proving use by Marines during WW11.

From the website Historylink101.com

http://www.historylink101.com/wwII_b-w/mar...guns/index.html

Looks like a Hawley helmet laying on the ground?

Captioned

Communication personnel of US Marines on Guadalcanal lay a telephone line through a coconut grove.

479041825_XCGW9-L.jpg

1930's era

310583154_sTtn6-M.jpg

• 13 years later...
ViewfinderGyrene

Just found this topic and eager to learn more, as I will need one to complete a recent project related to wire teams on Iwo Jima.

By this point in the war, would it be more likely that the RL-16 or the RL-34 was used by Signal personnel in 5th Marine Division?

Many thanks in advance!

-VFG