Navy Dolphins Era Help

Hi Guys

I just received these today in the mail and was hoping the forum can help me figure a production era.I'm hoping there WW2 .Thanks in advance for the help.Jay

post-564-0-28300300-1495762551.jpg

Hi Jay,

Is the finish Gold or Silver? It looks Silver (post-WW2) in the pics on my screen?

Regards

Mike

Silver I reviewed this example in the Book US Silent Service and it shows an example in silver being WW2.I'm really hoping that I'm correct and or lucky enough to find an original ww2 example as its on my bucket list

Yes, but is the example in the book Silver or Gold finished? It's not like that book has no errors either, as good as it is.

I'm not doubting the authenticity of your Vanguard (nice example) but imo if it's a Silver finished metal badge then it would officially be post-51 when the Regulations were changed.

Hi Mike

As always i value your comments.In the book it is silver,but if it turns out post,then i'll go on the hunt for a ww2 example.

Hi Jay,

I don't have any of the badges in hand but from what I see on screen, the badge in post #11 is a dark toned Gold finish (as evidenced by the definitely Silver and very differently coloured central Acorn) and the Badge in post #13 also looks Gold finished to me. Your example I can't really tell from the pic due to flash/lighting, but you have it in hand. It's made from Sterling Silver but may still be a Gold finished example. Maybe take a pic next to definite Gold and Silver finished badges without the "flash" effect?

Regards

Mike

firefighter

I always thought WW2 enlisted Submariners wore their dolphins on the cuff? If so wouldn't these be just post-war/Korea era.