USAAF Pilot Jimmy Stewart

cutiger83

James Stewart served as a pilot in World War II, initially rejected by the army for being underweight, despite wanting to serve. So, he went home, gained some weight, and was able to enlist. During the war, due to his celebrity status, he was kept in America, but after two years, his request to join the battle overseas was finally answered, where he flew in many dangerous missions, earning a good collection of medals and awards.

Jimmy Stewart.jpg

He also remained in the USAAF and as strong voice for the establishment of an independent air force. Stewart retired from the Air Force in 1968 with the rank of Major General.

Way back in the mid 70's worked with a guy that was a flight engineer on Stewarts A/C. He told me on 1 flight he was sleepy and they were climbing to altitude, nothing to do so he went to sleep on a pile of chutes. Was woken up by someone kicking him, he was po' ed, but when he looked up it was Stewart. Stewart told him," airman get up, no one sleeps on my A/C!" He had a few interesting stories, tried to get more out of him but guess he didnt want to talk about it. R.I.P. old George S.

One of my long time heroes for exactly what he did in WW2. He could have easily ducked it, or even stay home, but he stuck his neck out and was in combat during a time when the life expectancy of bomber crews was not long.

Two decent books about him and his war years out there. Most recent is "Mission-Jimmy Stewart and the Fight for Europe" by Robert Matzen

An outstanding true American hero! A lot different than the Hollywood idiots of today. Bobgee

Adrian6256

An outstanding true American hero! A lot different than the Hollywood idiots of today. Bobgee

Agree!

I always loved how he used his actual personal A2 in a movie he did post war.

post-158668-0-99670200-1495735582.jpg

Adrian6256

He also remained in the USAAF and as strong voice for the establishment of an independent air force. Stewart retired from the Air Force in 1968 with the rank of Major General.

Yes, I believe i read he flew B52 missions in the Vietnam war!!

post-158668-0-33177200-1495736075.jpg

I remember watching the news of the inauguration of the Vietnam Memorial in Washington n November 1982 up in Alaska, and Stewart was one of the Keynote Speakers, and what a rousing applause he got from the thousands of Vets in attendance when he stepped up to speak. It's no small wonder, he's one of them in more ways than one.

Yes, I believe i read he flew B52 missions in the Vietnam war!!

attachicon.gifresized_Stewart_on_set (1).jpg

post-34986-0-69722500-1495815833_thumb.jpg

On July 23, 1959, Stewart was promoted to brigadier general. During his active duty periods, he remained current as a pilot of Convair B-36 Peacemaker, Boeing B-47 Stratojet and Boeing B-52 Stratofortress intercontinental bombers of the Strategic Air Command.[58]

On February 20, 1966, Brigadier General Stewart flew as a non-duty observer in a B-52 on an Arc Light bombing mission during the Vietnam War. He refused the release of any publicity regarding his participation, as he did not want it treated as a stunt, but as part of his job as an officer in the Air Force Reserve.

After 27 years of service, Stewart retired from the Air Force on May 31, 1968.(He retired a Brigadier General).

My great uncle flew with him in Europe, said he was a great guy, they remained friends for many years after the war.

• 1 month later...

Jimmy Stewart was as impressive as they came. Whenever I'm watching a J. Stewart movie with others I always mention his service to them. As time goes by fewer and fewer people are aware of it. A Hollywood type that walks the walk (or walked the walk), I wasn't aware that he wore his service jacket in movies. I can't imagine what that A2 is worth. Maybe it's in the museum for him in his hometown.

• 2 weeks later...

My great-uncle was a pilot in his squadron in Europe, killed in a B-24 crash landing. My great-aunt's letter of condolence was written and signed by Stewart. My dad and I really wish we knew what happened to that letter after her death.

Maj. Gen. Andrew Low was a close friend of Jimmy Stewart from WWII on and his estate was sold by his daughter and it contained many personal letters from Jimmy Stewart including Christmas cards.

The book "Jimmy Stewart Bomber Pilot" has an entire chapter about his close friendship with MG Andrew Low.

• 4 weeks later...

Jimmy Stewart's A-2 is on display at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. (Along with Jackie Coogan's--aka Uncle Fester--and many others).

There is a small museum in Indiana, Pa that has some of his other uniforms, and movie items--definitely worth checking out.

Jimmy Stewart's A-2 is on display at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. (Along with Jackie Coogan's--aka Uncle Fester--and many others).

There is a small museum in Indiana, Pa that has some of his other uniforms, and movie items--definitely worth checking out.

This is from the Air Force Museum in Dayton.

BB 70.jpg

BB 72.jpg

BB 75 Stewart.jpg

Hi! Thanks for posting those pictures of his Jacket and the one of him in full uniform! How cool! Loved the book about his Bomber Pilot days. Does anyone know what movie that is where he wears his real A-2 jacket?