Lt Jg Henry Fonda

cutiger83

Henry Fonda (1905-1982) Lt. jg U.S. Navy 1943-45 WW II. Fonda was already a movie star when he enlisted saying, "I don't want to be in a fake war in a studio." Fonda served as a Quartermaster 3rd Class on the destroyer USS Satterlee. He was later commissioned as a Lieutenant jg in Air Combat Intelligence in the Pacific and was awarded the Bronze Star. He was in 106 films and won an Oscar for On Golden Pond.

Henry Fonda.jpg

I think this is another version of the same image. I always enjoyed his films over the years.

That does look like the same image. I wonder if it is colorized. I enjoyed his films too.

...Kat

pararaftanr2

Kat,

No, it is an original color image from the National Archives, as posted on the Historylink101 web site in their WW2 US Navy photo collection.

Regards, Paul

Government Issue

Wow. The Saterlee was one of the destroyers offering direct fire support to Pointe du Hoc along with the HMS Talybont. There's a pretty good chance he was there for that, and to think he would end up as an actor in the Longest Day 20 years later! Thanks Kat!

iron bender

There was a decent documentary on the 2nd at Point du Hoc last night on AHC. The Satarlee certainly did her part. Never had a clue that Fonda served with the Satarlee. Very interesting info

aerialbridge

One of the good guys

Yeah, and sadly way too few these days. For this Memorial Day Weekend, here's a previously unpublished photo that was a gift from the gentleman playing the organ, also a Hollywood celebrity. One of my favorite Hollywood Goes to War photos. Three straight-shooters from yesteryear.

post-18406-0-83656100-1495901515.jpg