WW2 USN VC-21 Bugs Bunny Squadron Patches

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Both were found in a desk at an estate sale in Northern California a couple of weeks ago. Backside is canvas, but the front looks and feels almost like leather so I assume there are an early imitation leather. Can't find much on them, but the one is dated 1944 on the back in the vet's hand writing. I know the unit existed in 1943, but I can't find much else or what ship. Any help on the history is appreciated. Thank you, ABN

post-1800-0-02017300-1495559707_thumb.jpg

There were a few Navy squadron patches made in this style, what I refer to as "decal (or silkscreen) on leatherette", during WWII. I believe the original WWII issue (1943) is the embroidered version shown below, with green base. At some point, another version was made without the green base. Presumably, yours is older than the second embroidered patch below. By the way, Leon Schlesinger was an American film producer, remembered for founding Leon Schlesinger Studios, which later became the Warner Bros. Cartoons studio, during the Golden Age of American animation.

Embroidered.

vc-21-2-700.jpgvc-21-1b-700.jpg

Embroidered.

vc-21-1-700.jpgvc-21-2b-700.jpg

From the Naval Aviation Foundation web page . . .

vc-21-navalaviationfdn2.jpg

Rick, does your first patch posted in #5 glow under UV light? It looks like one listed on EBay that is using your info on the forum as a reference. Jeffro

Rick, does your first patch posted in #5 glow under UV light? It looks like one listed on EBay that is using your info on the forum as a reference. Jeffro

Neither of my patches, posted above, glow under UV light.