Mess kit, 1st MGB, USMC (WWI)

bjomanson

Mess kit issued to Pvt Alpheus Appenheimer USMC, probably during the time the 1st Machine Gun Battalion was forming at Quantico, in late 1917. Much of the equipment issued to Marine units at this time consisted of discontinued and cast-off Army equipment. The two spoons, marked "U.S.M.C.", crosswise, at the top of the handles, were lifted by Appenheimer from the messhall at Paris Island. The fork is marked "USMC" in tiny letters on the handle. The knife is marked with a large "U.S." on the handle. To the left of the US, in smaller letters: "R.I.A.", which I'm guessing indicates Rock Island Armory. To the right of the US, in smaller script: "1916."

post-8438-0-99736800-1495549098_thumb.jpg

"crosswise, at the top of the handles" should refer to the fork, not the spoons. My mistake.

That Model of 1913 Bacon Can is a rarity!!! I've only seen two or three in many years of collecting.

Tim

Bonjour.

Here is a knife "USMC" found on a camp in the salient of Saint Mihiel, north of the town of Toul.

Solcarlus.

post-241-0-78676300-1496044926.jpg

post-241-0-40548100-1496044982.jpg

French Sam

Bonjour.

Here is a knife "USMC" found on a camp in the salient of Saint Mihiel, north of the town of Toul.

Solcarlus.

attachicon.gifIMG_3482.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3486.JPG

Bonjour Solcarlus,

Great knife ! ;)

FS