jw517

What is it?

Can anybody I.D. this sword for me? I might buy it if it is not made in China or something.

post-159439-0-22418800-1495417045_thumb.jpeg

No body home? I looked all over the web and could not find one exactly like it but saw some British swords kind of like it. It has a folding hilt but not sure if that is only a British thing. Help! Help!

Made in the British style but a photo of the insignia on the guard will help determine that. Not a US sword type.

"You can't please everyone so you have got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Yes need pics of the basket and if any marks on the ricasso.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

The experts for this British style sword are at www.swordforum.com. Some additional photos will help.

Thanks,looked at their forum but can't ask a question unless I join. I don't want to look like one of those types. If t is indeed old I'll grab it if I can. Might be the only sword I ever handle!

post-342-0-93560300-1495477450.jpg

Maybe a start...less than 10 seconds on google and typed in British Infantry officers sword.THis one came up as a 1822 pattern.

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

They all look different. I have not seen two exactly alike. Maybe that means there are no fakes out there?

I would venture to guess there are variations as well as repros.

Would have to see how many years the sword or pattern was in use.

In Memoriam:

Maybe the smart thing to do is steer clear of what I don't know.

Jw517, great words of wisdom that seldom go heeded? Collectors most always assume they hit the jackpot when buying outside their specific field. And they rarely admit when they strike out.

Definatly european, can we get a clear shot of the cypher on the guard? any maker marks?

Fritz

Hi Fritz! They have three pics in the sale,it's in another city,preventing me from going there easily. This is the third pic.

post-159439-0-64480500-1495540771_thumb.jpeg

I guess I'd just like to know if anyone sees anything jumping out at them saying something isn't right with it.

I guess that the bottom line is that it is not a US sword so the thread will be locked. My best guess is that it is supposed to be a British M1822 pattern sword. I think you have the right idea to leave it alone since it is out of your normal bailiwick. Frankly, I always get into trouble when I buy something I am not certain of or a sword without a scabbard.

"You can't please everyone so you have got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif