What is it?

jw517

No body home? I looked all over the web and could not find one exactly like it but saw some British swords kind of like it. It has a folding hilt but not sure if that is only a British thing. Help! Help!

Made in the British style but a photo of the insignia on the guard will help determine that. Not a US sword type.

Thanks,looked at their forum but can't ask a question unless I join. I don't want to look like one of those types. If t is indeed old I'll grab it if I can. Might be the only sword I ever handle!

post-342-0-93560300-1495477450.jpg

Maybe a start...less than 10 seconds on google and typed in British Infantry officers sword.THis one came up as a 1822 pattern.

They all look different. I have not seen two exactly alike. Maybe that means there are no fakes out there?

I would venture to guess there are variations as well as repros.

Would have to see how many years the sword or pattern was in use.

Jw517, great words of wisdom that seldom go heeded? Collectors most always assume they hit the jackpot when buying outside their specific field. And they rarely admit when they strike out.

Hi Fritz! They have three pics in the sale,it's in another city,preventing me from going there easily. This is the third pic.

post-159439-0-64480500-1495540771_thumb.jpeg

I guess I'd just like to know if anyone sees anything jumping out at them saying something isn't right with it.

I guess that the bottom line is that it is not a US sword so the thread will be locked. My best guess is that it is supposed to be a British M1822 pattern sword. I think you have the right idea to leave it alone since it is out of your normal bailiwick. Frankly, I always get into trouble when I buy something I am not certain of or a sword without a scabbard.