13th Bomb Squadron 1956-1958 The Devils Own Grim Reapers

phillock

Below is a Japanese made 13th BS B-26 Canberra bomber in night intruder colour scheme.

Phill

post-7582-0-88535500-1495350492_thumb.png

The 13th Bombardment Squadron (Tactical) flew B-57 Canberra's from 1956 to 1968 and from 1969 to 1972. The 13th Bombardment Squadron (Light) flew B-26 Invader's from 1945 to 1951 and the 13th Bombardment Squadron (Light, Night Intruder) also flew the B-26 Intruder from 1951 to 1956.

Mark

Gidday Dave

Do you know what years those were issued and worn and also the meaning of the yellow sythe?

Phill

believe first is ww2 or immediate post ww2 anybody want to chime in feel free and 2d is vietnam era and i believe is thai made

• 1 month later...

Worked with the 3rd BW B-57s in 1958-59. I was with a 1st Shoran beacon Detachment on P-Y-Do ( K-53 I think_ beach landing strip at low tide).

The 57's would once in awhile buzz us after flying a training mission just to let us know they knew we were there ( I Guess?).

Nice patch set.

believe first is ww2 or immediate post ww2 anybody want to chime in feel free and 2d is vietnam era and i believe is thai made

The Thai made one is just that, but I'm not convinced it's a wartime piece. A lot of stuff came out of Thailand in the 80s, And this bears much resemblance to those. I don't buy into the "left over stock" theory some use to justify having some of these. FWIW, these still show up on eBay, mostly from one seller. Maybe you have provenance on yours, I'm just putting it out there that there are some questionable items made like this. You can decide for yourself if it's worth keeping.

Randy

Patchcollector

I've heard that before about the Thai made patches,but IMO until someone posts some real proof then it's only an opinion.

The Thai made one is just that, but I'm not convinced it's a wartime piece. A lot of stuff came out of Thailand in the 80s, And this bears much resemblance to those. I don't buy into the "left over stock" theory some use to justify having some of these. FWIW, these still show up on eBay, mostly from one seller. Maybe you have provenance on yours, I'm just putting it out there that there are some questionable items made like this. You can decide for yourself if it's worth keeping.

Randy

Thai was purchased from a moderator of the forum

Some of the older collectors will remember about the guy that went to Thailand for business in the 80s and started coming back with lots of patches. There may have been a few overruns at first, but then a lot of other designs, including ones never seen before showed up. The individual passed away, and his collection also hit the market along with lots of duplicates. Lots of army and AF spec ops stuff as well in there. I don't have "proof" as I wasn't there with him, just what has been told to me over the years by very knowledgeable collectors since I started collecting in the 80s. Additionally, I get many patches direct from vets. Never have these lined up with anything attributed to that person. Coincidence? Some of this stuff is still being sold on eBay, I assume by one of the relatives. It's close enough to fool people, and some people really believe it's all good. There is another set of about 35 fighter related ones done by another person,; these are downright scary and only because he was honest with me would I know. I just posted this as a warning, this stuff is out there and that is fact. What you do with it going forward is up to you.

Randy

firefighter

Some of the older collectors will remember about the guy that went to Thailand for business in the 80s and started coming back with lots of patches. There may have been a few overruns at first, but then a lot of other designs, including ones never seen before showed up. The individual passed away, and his collection also hit the market along with lots of duplicates. Lots of army and AF spec ops stuff as well in there. I don't have "proof" as I wasn't there with him, just what has been told to me over the years by very knowledgeable collectors since I started collecting in the 80s. Additionally, I get many patches direct from vets. Never have these lined up with anything attributed to that person. Coincidence? Some of this stuff is still being sold on eBay, I assume by one of the relatives. It's close enough to fool people, and some people really believe it's all good. There is another set of about 35 fighter related ones done by another person,; these are downright scary and only because he was honest with me would I know. I just posted this as a warning, this stuff is out there and that is fact. What you do with it going forward is up to you.

Randy

Great information and advice.

Thor, those are different from yours. Yours probably has a white cloth backing, known as a puffy back. These were originally done by Indian tailor shops outside the Thai USAF bases. The eBay ones are current SEA made repros. Ironic, a repro of a repro. There is just so much bad stuff out there these days, you really have to be careful.

Randy

Dave-

OK, the back makes it even more tough for me to believe it's a period piece. Generally speaking (of course, always exceptions), the border is merrowed and fairly tight on the Thai puffies. I don't want to sound negative, but I'm just not digging this one. Again, it's your call as to if you like it, but in my opinion it would go into my fakes bag if it came my way. If anyone has any contrary thoughts, feel free to put them out there!

Randy