US Navy helmets in still

dustin

So I put together a little collage of wartime images illustrating the M1 helmet in use by the US Navy.

This image is aboard the USS Intrepid, February 1944. In the ready room for VF-6 M1 helmets are available for Battle Stations in conjunction with gas masks.

post-56-0-20924300-1495238106_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-84921400-1495238127_thumb.jpg

The second image in the last post was an oops, these are deck crewman aboard the USS Tulagi, Auguat 1944. One helmet has captain bars applied.

post-56-0-28062600-1495238225_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-60275700-1495238229_thumb.jpg

Sleeping quarters aboard the USS Rudyerd Bay, May 1945. Like in the ready room image above helmets, life preserve belts and gas masks are at the ready.

post-56-0-33235900-1495238369_thumb.jpg

A flight deck officer goes over details with pilots aboard the USS Essex, November 1944. He wears the "blast" equipment ensemble.

post-56-0-04662800-1495238702_thumb.jpg

A flight deck crash created injuires which are being attended to aboard the USS Essex, November 1944. The crewman in the back wears an M1 helmet.

post-56-0-85761900-1495238791.jpg

pararaftanr2

Great job Dustin, thanks! Navy ace Alex Varaciu can be seen among the VF-16 pilots in your first image. Second row on the left side of the aisle, on the right, wearing white deck helmet.

Great job Dustin, thanks! Navy ace Alex Varaciu can be seen among the VF-16 pilots in your first image. Second row on the left side of the aisle, on the right, wearing white deck helmet.

Good eye! You have a nack for faces that's for sure, thanks for pointing that out. The guy directly in front of him I did recognize as being Lt Commander Harry Harrison.

post-56-0-57576000-1495244156_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention that besides the helmets, I liked seeing how the gas mask bags were kept handy aboard ship.

I forgot to mention that besides the helmets, I liked seeing how the gas mask bags were kept handy aboard ship.

My main focus is aviation hence all the images related to aircraft carriers but all the standard indoctrination and practices apply to all vessels. I was hoping other points of interest would be observed by everyone, the US Navy really is an understudied venue.

Cool pics. This one caught my eye. Anyone know what this guy has on his head? Looks like a backwards M1 with some kind of cover or hood.

Tom

post-2064-0-63013900-1495283467.jpg

pararaftanr2

Tom,

All the deck crewmen in that post #5 photo are wearing issue anti-flash gear, which consisted of a blue cloth hood, blue cloth gauntlet gloves, goggles (same construction as anti-gas goggles) and face mask (white fabric to cover the nose and mouth). Anti-flash cream was also available to cover the skin of the face. It appears the crewman in question, unlike his fellows, has chosen to wear the hood over his helmet, rather than under the helmet, which was the prescribed method. Further details of this gear can be seen in Dustin's post #9, being worn by the intelligence officer in the middle.

Regards, Paul

Pharmacists Mates on the flight deck of an unknown carrier, August 1942

attachicon.gif4.jpg

attachicon.gif5.jpg

Interesting contrast on the top photo. The guy on the right looks like he's all primed and bursting to go. The guy on the left looks bored.

Mikie