Indian Wars belt and buckle with 48 National guard tunic buttons

That's really nice. I'd guess it was something sold by Bannerman's to more effectively sell/market their vast quantities of Gov't surplus.

matthew123

Probably a bit labor intensive for the few cents the buttons would have brought Bannerman at the turn of the century.... more like a labor of love, and patriotism. But not a bad guess. (And I guess that's a double negative on my part.. not to mention beginning a sentence with a conjuction.)

• 5 years later...
Cobra 6 Actual
On 5/17/2017 at 6:42 PM, matthew123 said:

Probably a bit labor intensive for the few cents the buttons would have brought Bannerman at the turn of the century.... more like a labor of love, and patriotism. But not a bad guess. (And I guess that's a double negative on my part.. not to mention beginning a sentence with a conjuction.)

Amazing grammar, too!

• 2 weeks later...
illinigander

I have a set of probably the same buttons, 46 different state seals, and an Army & Navy one.  They are mounted in an oak frame, on a cardboard backing.  It is titled: Buttons of Each State in the Union, and each button is 'ID by state name.  I have been told these were sold by Bannerman's.  I will have to dig out the old catalogs.  I got this from the daughter of Fred B. Anderson, Co. H, 31st Michigan Inft.  He was a Spanish War vet.

illinigander