Sign in to follow this  
oxi81

Unusual Mills & Orndorff ammo belt

I have a strange M1894 Mills & Orndorff Ammo belt :

Mills and Orndorff adjustement hooks with usual Aug,26:67 to Sep.11:94 patents.

Classical standard light tan web construction with brass keepers and "C" clasp, but the belt has only one-row 40 loops for .30 rounds (I know about 50 or 100 rounds loops, but not 40).

An early model or a belt for mounted troops?

Any idea?

Thank you in advance,

Francois

129 views and no answer? Is it a so unusual belt?

Bringing this back to the top as I just picked up one of these 40 loop belts and I have the same question.

Thanks,

Rob

donation2009.gifdonation2012.gif

Without a picture I'll hazard a few observations....No length of the belt given but iirc Mills did make belts in sizes including lengths for smaller waists -- with a correspondining reduction of the number of loops. As far as this being only a single row, if the loops are woven and not sewn, its a Mills woven product and likely a state or national guard request or contract. Not likely regular US army unless it was a trial piece. From 1900 until the phase out / replacement by the new Mills pocket patterns, the regular army infantry and artillery wore the tan color, double looped Mills belt with the 'C' catch.

Thanks for the reply! The belt will adjust out to 48 inches. Here are a few photos that I hope might shed some more light.

Thanks,

Rob

post-168-0-13120100-1580053973.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2012.gif

It's a Mills commercial belt. The number 18 indicates what size cartridge it's for. I think it is .38-55 Rifle.

Without data, your just another person with an opinion...................

Selling DVDs of Ordnance Drawings on ebay seller ID 245thcac
Original Research from Museums and The National Archives
1912 Cavalry Board Report, 1910 Infantry Board Report, Equipment Blueprints and Drawing, Coast Artillery Training Films and 1897 Specifications for Clothing
CHECK THEM OUT

The regular US Army 1886 belt plate is 'way out' for this belt as well. These commercial civilian belts used a brass wire c-catch closure. Although I've seen the commercial / civilian stamped Mills plates (dogs head etc.) on them.