Button I.d for possible indian wars button

Frank@hoboken

Frank@hoboken

Could use help if anyone can I.d this ridabock and co. Button. I can't seem to find any other pics of it anywhere else. Saw it on an 1872 undress blouse. Thank you for any information.

post-167962-0-67325800-1494815299.jpg

First, Ridabock & Company, New York City, operated as a firm of military outfitters from 1883-1975. They made many late 1800's US military buttons. Have seen several myself - pretty common button maker of that period.

As far as identification, it is very similar to a button for the "Washington Continentals" of New York. The one shown in Albert's book is a similar "WC" monogram, but surrounded by 24 stars rather than a wreath as with yours. Maybe this is a variation of that same unit? Since it is post-Civil War it is not listed in Tice's button book. I'm also sending the picture to a buddy of mine - he has a pretty extensive knowledge of non-military buttons to see if he recognizes it.

Frank@hoboken

Thank you. Yes the person sent me a scovill button with the stars but the ones on the tunic are the wreath covered ridabock ones.

Frank@hoboken

Can't tell if the jacket was repurposed but it has all the hallmarks of an 1872 undress blouse. Thanks for the help.

... the person sent me a scovill button with the stars but the ones on the tunic are the wreath covered ridabock ones.

Interesting that you also got a Scovill "WC" button with the stars - that is the exact button in Albert's book (with the Scovill backmark). Wonder if that means there is a connection to the Washington Continentals???

I got a reply from my buddy - he does not recognize the buttons as non-military - but still could be anything with the "WC", but still seems like it could be a Washington Continentals variation/connection, especially with your location.

Frank@hoboken

I actually spoke to someone at a military museum in n.y that deals with the continentals. Hopefully I'll exchange pics and figure out what this garment is. I can't find any pics of the continentals in uniform let alone in an undress blouse of the 1872 type.