What are the Rarest WWII USMC Patches

BOB K. RKSS

teufelhunde.ret

VMSB/VMTB-231 & VMSB-133 PATCHES ATTRIBUTED TO COL. HARRISON J. BRENT, JR. USMC. Was listed on ebay and closed Feb 09, 2010 - 7 bids - with final bid of $798, which failed to make the reserve.

_BlGmRNg_Wk___KGrHqIH_DwEs97_5JNsBL_Qc_zWEQ___3.jpg

_BlGmRpw_mk___KGrHqUH_CcEs_lVeIWSBL_QcboEc____3.jpg

_BlGmSng_mk___KGrHqUH_CEEtOGZZ_BzBL_Qci6NJg___3.jpg

• 1 month later...
teufelhunde.ret

VMSB/VMTB-233 Flying Deathheads. Sold on ebay Mar 25, 2010 for $1210. and change.

Originally activated during World War II, they fought in many areas of the Pacific War including the Battle of Guadalcanal as part of the Cactus Air Force, the Battle of Okinawa and the Battle of Balikpapan (1945). They were the only Marine Corps squadron to have three commanding officers killed during the course of the war and were credited with downing 8 Japanese aircraft. Following the surrender of Japan, the squadron was deactivated on March 10, 1946. They were reactivated as part of the Reserves but were again deactivated in 1969 and remain in an inactive status today.

_BouEKQ__Wk___KGrHqIH_CgEu_50zckjBLok2IqyDQ___12.jpg

_BouEKQ__Wk___KGrHqIH_CgEu_50zckjBLok2IqyDQ___12.jpg

_BouELnw_mk___KGrHqQH_E_EuYz1_UnDBLok2Ngbow___12.jpg

Any photo of it?

Jeffro,

One of our local plots was in VMF-213 at the end of the war. Here's his patch.

Adam

post-2607-1269798278.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
VMS-3 US Virgin Islands 1944, from a squadron pilot

Adam Lewis

post-3673-1271622921.jpg

VMS-3: Originally VMO-9 before the redesignation to VMS-3, this original paint-on-leather patch (below) follows the pattern in Millstein's book, albeit with reversed yellow and red color at the top :think: . It compliments Adam's fine patch(above) which has a different contruction. Obviously, there is more to learn about the VMS-3 insignia, as there appears to be at least 2 different issued patches,but only rare examples to study. If you have one, please share.......regards, jpstout

post-3673-1271623005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

USMC Marine Corsair Fighter Squadron Patch VMF-324. Sold on ebay 4.26.10 for $1212.

VMF-324 arrived at Miramar and attached to Marine Fleet Air, West Coast for pre-combat training July 20, 1944. Detached from Marine Fleet Air, West Coast and sailed from San Diego for Ewa, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii for staging to Midway Island. August 31, 1944. On September 6, 1944 VMF-324 joined Marine Aircraft Group 23, 3d Marine Aircraft Wing, Fleet Marine Force. VMF-324 arrived at Midway. September 10 - 16, 1944 At Midway the Squadron acted as training and replacement unit for the Pacific theatre. September 1, 1945 Transferred in increments to Headquarters Squadron, 3d Marine Aircraft Wing, Fleet Marine Force at Ewa, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii. Arrived at San Francisco, September 28, 1945 California and proceeded to Marine Corps Air Depot, Miramar, San Diego, California. On October 15, 1945 VMF-324 was disestablished at Marine Corps Air Depot, Miramar, California.

post.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

USMC VMA-121 SQDN PATCH-HAND EMBROIDERED. Sold on ebay 5.6.10 for $255.

Marine Fighting Squadron 121 (VMF-121) was activated on June 24, 1941. The Green Knights began combat operations flying the F4F Wildcat and later the F4U Corsair as charter members of the Cactus Air Force and throughout the Battle of Guadalcanal. The squadron also fought from the forward air bases of Espirito Santo, Turtle Bay, Bougainville, and Emirau. On September 15, 1944, the Green Knights landed on Peleliu and fought there until July 25, 1945. They returned to the United States on board the USS Lookout (YAGR-2) to be deactivated on September 9, 1945. During the Pacific War, VMF-121 produced fourteen fighter aces, more than any other squadron, including Medal of Honor recipient, Major Joseph J. Foss. VMF-121 downed 208 Japanese aircraft (165 flying Wildcats and another 44 flying Corsairs) in aerial combat.

_BsEJ9K_CWk___KGrHqUOKjkEvPNkw1Y5BL2Zo1CNtQ___3.jpg

_BsEJ_nwEGk___KGrHqIOKi4Eu3YEDtFuBL2Zo6zN_Q___3.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

VMSB-333 Armored Duck Sqaudron Patch. Sold on ebay 5.10.10 for $1,552.00

Marine Scout Bombing Squadron 333 (VMSB-333) was activated August 1, 1943 as at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina. In April 1944, a portion of the squadron was sent to Boca Chica, Florida for anti-submarine training and upon their return departed for San Diego, and three weeks after that, Hawaii. The squadron was transferred to Midway Island in July 1944 and began flying anti-submarine patrols in their SBD Dauntless bombers. They were redesignated Marine Fighter Bomber Squadron 333 (VMBF-333) on October 14, 1944 and transitioned to the F4U Corsair.

The squadron reverted to VMSB-333 on December 20, 1944 and was transferred back to Marine Corps Air Station Ewa, Hawaii for the remainder of the war. They were deactivated on November 1, 1945.

_BsZw__QEGk___KGrHqIOKkYEvNz7ZT43BL3t__gJN____12.jpg

_BsZw_jQEGk___KGrHqMOKisEvM6RDED1BL3t_CbNvQ___12.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

VMF-311 Marine Squadron Patch, "Hell's Belles" Corsairs. Sold on ebay 5.12.10 for $746.

Marine Attack Squadron (VMA)-311 was initially commissioned a fighter squadron on Dec. 1, 1942, at Cherry Point, N.C., flying the SNJ Texan trainers. In April 1943, they received the new Vought F4U-1 Corsair and entered the Pacific Theater where they served with distinction until the end of WW2. On Oct. 6, 1943, the squadron catapulted from the deck of the USS Nassau to Samoa Naval Air Station, in one of the earliest catapult operations of the F4U. Two days later, VMF-311 flew to Wallis Island and remained there until January 1944. During America's "Island Hopping" campaign across the Pacific, the squadron's mission was to isolate Japanese forces on the bypassed islands, deny their escape and prevent their use of airstrips. The squadron continued strafing and bombing missions until moving to Okinawa March 1945, and was the first Marine squadron to use fighter aircraft for dive bombing missions. The squadron, now flying the F4U-1C (a modification which include four 20mm cannons and pylons for 5-inch rockets), downed its first aircraft on April 7, 1945. Combat air patrols were the predominant mission until the war ended.

E8F9D39475BC4863A236070693C27C3E.jpg

8E2020830D684D4197DC122EA30C1C7E.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

WW2 VMR-953 Sdn patch sold on ebay 5.11.10 for $641.

Commissioned on February 1, 1944, and moved to Corvallis in May 1944 under MAG-15. In August 1944, VMR-953 arrived at MCAS Ewa from the U.S. and was equipped with R5C-1's. The squadron began flying missions from Ewa to various Pacific locations including Leyte Island in the Philippine Islands and Okinawa in the Ryukyu Islands until VJ Day.

After World War II, the USMC operated these aircraft for several years and a few USN support squadrons were also equipped with the R5C. Ten R5C-1's were delivered to the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) and based at Coast Guard Air Station (CGAS) Elizabeth City, North Carolina to support the Coast Guards Aircraft Repair and Supply Center. These aircraft were used for logistic and personnel transportation to Coast Guard facilities in the U.S. and overseas. The last USCG R5C-1 was struck from the inventory in 1950.

_Bsgh6iQCGk___KGrHqMOKkMEvOBGNrypBL4H4iOJng___12.jpg

_Bsgh79wBGk___KGrHqQOKj4EupdGL_5CBL4H4lV9u____12.jpg

My Dad served with VMF-121 in the Pacific as an aviation mechanic, this is his patch.

Regards,

Don

post-9079-1273886281.jpg

Don, nice patch! :thumbsup:

1st issue australian made, desirable and a darned hard patch to find!! As I collect these squadron patches, I really appreciate you sharing that one. My dad was 4th Marine Air wing and made the central pacific route to Majuro atoll before he returned to Cherry Point in 1945 to reoutfit for the Japan invasion. He is still kicking and keeps coming up with more stories of the war. He will enjoy your picture of your dad's patch! Best, jpstout

WW II USMC Air Corps Jacket Patch: Black and white variations out of my collection. Not exceptionly uncommon or expensive, but patches you should have if you collect WWII USMC aviation. Regards, jpstout

post-3673-1274035861.jpgpost-3673-1274035874.jpg

Don, nice patch! :thumbsup:

1st issue australian made, desirable and a darned hard patch to find!! As I collect these squadron patches, I really appreciate you sharing that one. My dad was 4th Marine Air wing and made the central pacific route to Majuro atoll before he returned to Cherry Point in 1945 to reoutfit for the Japan invasion. He is still kicking and keeps coming up with more stories of the war. He will enjoy your picture of your dad's patch! Best, jpstout

Don, I made an error on this one! :pinch: Aarrgh! :pinch: I did not study the backing as I quickly moved through the pics. This is US made not aussie; IMHO the backing is US. AND still a great patch!! It leaves me with the impression that there are more than 2 variations on the vmf 121. As usual, I am again further educated by what pops out of the woodwork and exemplifies what makes this forum so useful. Anybody please correct me if you have more information. Even in the year 2010, there is still so much to be learned about USMC aviation patches from WWII!! Regards, jpstout

VMB 423 Second Design, Decal on Leather: Probably the most "common" of the 3 known insignia variations for this VMB group. While a significant number of WWII USMC squadrons used Decals, some are common and a few REALLY hard to find! When you can find them, they are a nice addition to the collection and not to be overlooked. Regards, jpstout

post-3673-1274245099.jpg

VMSB/SMTB 454 DECAL: As a follow up to my previous post, I thought I would share this WWII Decal for the VMSB 454. There is a listing in Millstein's "USMC Aviation Unit Insignia 1941-1946" book for a 2nd issue silk screened on leatherette, but I have not seen it. It is quite possible that this is actually a Decal on Leatherette using the decal shown. If you have any further information or patch variations for the 454, please comment! Regards, jpstout

post-3673-1274245627.jpg

vmf 222 DECAL: Here is another WWII Decal featrues of a first design. In Millsteins's book, there is a similar design discussed representing an Australian embroidered on wool patch (and I do wish I had that one :excl: ). A decal is not mentioned by Millstein. Having this unused decal in hand would suggest a "Decal on Leatherette" variation. As usual, any comments or photos on any vmf 222 variations greatly welcomed. Regards, jpstout

post-3673-1274246135.jpg

VMSB 151 DECAL ON LEATHERETTE: Here is one I saw on Ebay 3 or 4 years ago, that apparently sold off line and auction not finished. I believe it to be the real deal and a super tough patch to find. This particular patch, like Millstein's artist rendering, appears to be rotated to the right when photographed, instead of having the line horizontal ( :think: just my common sense). If you have one or more information, please comment. Thank you, jpstout

post-3673-1274247295.jpg

VMSB/SMTB 454 DECAL: As a follow up to my previous post, I thought I would share this WWII Decal for the VMSB 454. There is a listing in Millstein's "USMC Aviation Unit Insignia 1941-1946" book for a 2nd issue silk screened on leatherette, but I have not seen it. It is quite possible that this is actually a Decal on Leatherette using the decal shown. If you have any further information or patch variations for the 454, please comment! Regards, jpstout

post-3673-1274245627.jpg

Here is the 1st issue American embroidered on wool, aged and not as "vibrant" as the Millstein example.

post-3673-1274805271.jpg

VMF-217 AMERICAN FULLY EMBROIDERED: Max's Wild Hares, designed 1943, originally designed by the Disney Studio showing a Marine Corps Bulldog. Please see Homefront forum for original Disney Drawing and Art Board of Bulldog! regards, jpstout

post-3673-1274807096.jpg

VMSB-331 EMBROIDERED ON WOOL: The "Doodlebug Squadron". My favorite! This is one of a number of squadrons my dad encountered on Majuro Atoll while a radio operator with the 4th MAW HQ. He never forgot these insignias or the planes that came through there! Patch and pop below, regards, jpstout.

post-3673-1274808073.jpg post-3673-1274808105.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Marine Fighting Squadron 314 (VMF-314). Sold on ebay 5.26.10 for $815.

Marine Fighting Squadron 314 (VMF-314) was commissioned on October 1, 1943 at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina. The squadron was originally given the nickname of, "Bob's Cats". The squadron was assigned to Marine Aircraft Group 32 (MAG 32) flying the F4U Corsair and began training immediately for combat in the South Pacific. In February 1944, the squadron, along with VMF-324, was among the first units aboard Marine Corps Auxiliary Air Field Kinston. They left MCAAF Kinston for the Pacific theater and arrived at Marine Corps Air Station Ewa on June 18, 1944 and were reassigned to Marine Aircraft Group 23, 3rd MAW. From there they deployed to Midway Atoll.

VMF-314 returned to MCAS Ewa in December 1944 and remained there until April 1945, when they moved to Ie Shima in May 1945 to take part in the Battle of Okinawa as part of Marine Aircraft Group 22 (MAG-22). During the ensuing campaign, VMF-314 pilots were credited with 11 kills and the squadron was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation. After the surrender of Japan, VMF-314 moved to Kyūshū, Japan as part of the occupation force. VMF-314 returned to Marine Corps Air Station El Toro in November 1945 and in March 1946 they arrived back at MCAS Cherry Point. For a short time they were re-assigned to Marine Aircraft Group 22 (MAG-22), 9th Marine Aircraft Wing but were decommissioned on April 30, 1947

_BttNZ5_BGk___KGrHqUOKjcEve5QYT4eBL9E__kcWw___3.jpg

_BttNbf_B2k___KGrHqMOKj0Evn9_iu19BL9EbBqP_Q___3.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

VMF-115 AKA "Joe's Jokers" patch. Sold on ebay 5.31.10 for $1612.

Marine Fighting Squadron 115 (VMF-115) was organized on July 1, 1943 at Marine Corps Air Station Santa Barbara, California, as a F4U Corsair squadron. One of the Marine Corps most famous aces, Major Joseph Foss assumed command 16 days later. The squadron gained the nickname "Joe's Jokers", and in May 1944 joined the Pacific campaign. VMF-115 was a contributor to the American victory in the Philippines providing close air support, fighter cover, and deep air strikes in Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago. With over 18,000 flight hours during 5,856 combat sorties, VMF-115 was credited with shooting down 6 1/2 enemy aircraft while losing 28 aircraft with nine pilots killed in action.

To protect U.S. interests after the war and support Marines supervising the surrender of Japan, the squadron deployed to Peking, China. Communist troops began patterns of hostility leading to convoy coverage and "air presence" missions. 31 months after initial deployment, VMF-115 left the Pacific theater.

81722C245FAB4706A313F33753BF777E.jpg

89CE78B3CDDE46699F7D00796D5F5456.jpg

MCAS El Toro Embroidered on Twill: This is a great patch, apparently designed in 1944 by Disney. There is a MCAS El Toro patch currently for sale on Ebay and I thought I would put this one up for study in case anybody is contemplating a bid on the Ebay sample. Enjoy........jpstout

post-3673-1275535313.jpgpost-3673-1275535356.jpg