USN Corpsman helmet from Battle of Okinawa

SEABEE SON

ArchangelDM

I was very fortunate enough to speak with the daughters husband at length about Louis and his service.

He described him as a loving family man who served his country proudly but what he saw on Okinawa also troubled him deeply.

I was told when Louis saw a defeated Japanese soldier take his life by way of grenade in front of him it was a deeply disturbing moment in his life, and one that would stay with him.

I sent the family pictures of the helmet and they confirmed it was his and was sold at a family estate auction some years ago. I Have left an open invitation with the family to view the helmet if they are ever in the Uk in the future.

Dean

ArchangelDM

Awesome, Dean. Nice detective work. Congrats

Thankyou brother thats very kind -

Its an amazing feeling making contact with a family member and getting some actual info on the Vet. Really completes the picture for me, I was very lucky, the family wanted to speak about him and wrote me several times,

I know others have been unlucky with contacting the families of other vets.

I totally understand when people dont want to give Info etc, but its lovely when the vets story and stories live on

Yours

Dean

ArchangelDM

Great helmet and great help from other members, this is what a forum is all about.

Marty

Couldnt agree more Marty -

Hope your well mate

Yours

Dean

Hi Dean,

it's a great helmet, I wish I had such a nice piece in my collection ::

Which unit was LG Castellaneta attached to in Okinawa ?

Cheers, E

ArchangelDM

Hi Dean,

it's a great helmet, I wish I had such a nice piece in my collection ::

Which unit was LG Castellaneta attached to in Okinawa ?

Cheers, E

Hi E

Thanks for the comments on the helmet. It has the same camo as my named P42 jacket, the jacket also featured a black and Sand yellow camouflage. He also fought on Okinawa so guessing this was the camo many of them adopted. Would make sense as the island is a volcanic one featuring the Iriomote-jima volcano.

Pics below of the p42 shirt.

Unbelievably he reinforced the 1st marine Division in the field on Okinawa. In his file from Geoff at Golden Arrow he landed with them and was with them throughout the heavy fighting.

Yours

Dean

If one looks closely at the helmet in the video you can see a dark blotch under the lighter paint on the left side similar to that on the LGC helmet. In one of the obituaries it tells of his humanitarian efforts taking care of the Okinawans. It could possibly even be him in that footage, although I rather doubt it. The family might know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ArchangelDM

Apparently he did an interview on tape for a museum or some archives when he got back.

Totally possible he is on some footage -

Yours

Dean

ArchangelDM

Outstanding!!

I love it!

Thanks Kris for the kind words.

With the history and family connections its quite the piece.

Yours

Dean

Can it get any better than that?? Great pieces.

Thanks Russ

Amazing how many Navy/Marines/Army service men used this camouflage in the field on Okinawa.

As you can see from the pictures I posted of the jacket it seems this camouflage was very unique to Okinawa.

The photo of the man feeding the child above also looks like he has this style of camouflage

- Dean

Infantryman Terry Moore of the F Company of the 184th Regiment of the 7th Infantry Division, sprawled in the mud of Yonabaru as he and a comrade dodge Japanese sniper fire, during his advance on Japanese positions. Okinawa, 1945.

Posted Image

I think the ubiquitous mud was applied as ad hoc camo by many troops on Okinawa. This might just be a dirty helmet, though.

Infantryman Terry Moore of the F Company of the 184th Regiment of the 7th Infantry Division, sprawled in the mud of Yonabaru as he and a comrade dodge Japanese sniper fire, during his advance on Japanese positions. Okinawa, 1945.

ebb0d89246deb7a206dce321ea183d3a.jpg

I think the ubiquitous mud was applied as ad hoc camo by many troops on Okinawa. This might just be a dirty helmet, though.

That photo speaks Volumes Scott

- Dean