Who is this WWII Navy Cross recipient?

uniformcollector

uniformcollector

I was lucky to get this set of miniature medals and submariner's badge. Unfortunately, there is no name and although identifying its original owner may be a long shot, I figured I would see if anyone has any idea as to who it might have belonged to. Thanks!

attachment=1221087:IMG_6702.JPG]

post-104949-0-15251600-1494717642.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
peoplewhoknowme1

cool group will you should be able to get an age on the LOM mini. I am not sure of the era but someone will know.

uniformcollector

Thanks Elliot,

I was told mid to late 40s, but if anyone thinks differently, please let me know. Perhaps the attachments might help narrow down and ID, but it looks like we may never know.

Unfortunately, you'll find this to be a somewhat common group for a submarine officer. Without having the second bar to pin down his service a bit more closely, this bar is sadly 99.9% impossible to attribute. :(

In the Hall of Heroes database the only person who meets this group of awards for WWII submarine service is Joseph Warford Williams, Jr of the USS Spearfish.

But, this assumes their records are entirely accurate.

uniformcollector

Thank you Dave and lettow very much for the insight! RADM Joseph Williams had far more Legions of Merit, but since this is an early set, he would have had only two from the time it was made. Is there anyway to corroborate the battle stars he would have been entitled to?

Thanks again!

Technically, Williams would work if you went off of the Hall of Valor website, and assuming these awards dated from the 50s (I'd say they look that way). However, from his obit, he had quite a few other awards not on there...and thus, the question would be when they were earned...

6-12-2017 4-31-53 PM.jpg

That is the problem with a medal rack. It is a moment in time. This rack could also have belonged to someone who earned two NC or had KW service, etc.

That is the problem with a medal rack. It is a moment in time. This rack could also have belonged to someone who earned two NC or had KW service, etc.

Yep...that's why without the rest of the medals to give the additional context, the poor guy will remain unknown. :(